Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Late September Dogs - the new album

Here is a quick sound sampler of the new Late September Dogs album.

click me for music and stuff

This is a band that I've been playing with on and off for the last 3 years. This album has been a very long time coming. A very long time. We're currently mixing for the last time (that is a very, very long story) and I'm actually very happy with how things are sounding. It's got a very 70's rock kind of thing going on overall that I just love. Our producer has been very kind to me with regards to my levels and my tone.

The songs in this sample package are (in order):

All That I Need

Come A Little Closer

Anything But Beautiful

Sometimes

The recording of my parts was such a long time ago that I don't remember for sure what basses are on what. But I believe this is the correct bass to track list:

All That I Need - Mike Lull M5

Come A Little Closer - Mike Lull M5 on the chorus and solo section, Mike Lull M4V fretless on the verses

Anything But Beautiful - Alembic JPJ.. though it may be the Lull M5. I recorded a track of the Alembic tuned to drop D when we tracked the drums and I don't remember what we used for sure.

Sometimes - Mike Lull M5

In other parts of the album I used a Mike Lull P4 and a Hamer 12 string. The Alembic is definitely the only bass on a few of the other tracks. Overall, I'm extremely happy with how this thing is finally shaping up to be.

I can't tell you how much of what signal was used for the various songs, but I recorded at least 3 simultaneous tracks of bass for each song. For the most part, what you hear from the bass and drums is what was recorded live in the studio when we tracked the drums. We really wanted to capture the "live" feel of everything and actually planned on using all my tracks whenever the drum tracks wound up being a good take. Here's the signal paths:

1. direct through an Avalon U5

2. direct out of an SWR Mini Mo

3. mic'd SWR Goliath III cab - I can't remember what mic they used

One thing I do remember for sure is that the verses of "Come A Little Closer" are predominantly the Mini Mo with the chorus effect. The tremlo effect was added during mixdown.

As always, any comments are more than welcome.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the LSD cheese plate. Tasty.

Some highlights in my opinion:

*The bass tone and lick are great on the first sample. Probably my fave of the bunch o' four.

*Ms. Teisan's vocals are much stronger on these samples than in earlier mixes I had the chance to hear. That counts for a lot -- a whole lot.

*The Rock is indeed, without a doubt, delivered.

I'll write some more thoughtful comments later, but suffice it to say that I enjoyed the treat.

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I gave them there samples a quick listen, and I can say that I liked what I heard. I (too) think that the 1st sample rocked the most, but that doesn't mean that the rest wouldn't sound good too. It's always really hard to say that much about a song when you hear just a small teaser.

-P

PS. The music didn't make me think "cool, they sound just like band A or band B", which is a big plus in my book!

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Archived