Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just joined a new band! Needs a name...

bassdrummer

I just had my first rehearsal last night with a new band! It was a lot of fun. I play drums, and there's a bass player and 2 guitarists. (One of the guitarists is in Sacramento on business, so I haven't met him yet.) All 3 of us sang -- the guitarist on lead vocals and the bass player on high harmony with me on low harmony.

We need to come up with a name.

We'll be playing covers--a lot of country music, Motown, 80's top 40 pop rock, and current alternative pop/punk/rock.

For example, last night we played:

"Smooth Operator" by Sade (with extended latin jazz section)

"Hard Workin' Man," "She Used To Be Mine," and "My Maria" by Brooks & Dunn

"Kiss" by Prince

"Just My Imagination" by The Temptations

Any name suggestions will be much appreciated!

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on the new band! :thu:

Ah, the dreaded WBAGNFAB (would be a good name for a band) question. I thought there were more, but only a few in the Phil O'Keefe: The Project Studio archives. (Search for "good name for a band".)

Whatever you do, don't use the g****rist's name! Their egos are big enough already! :eek::D

So, kind of an all occaision, all styles cover band. Probably don't want anything too spicy. How about something wonderfully "so yesterday" like "The Viscalites"? (Yes, I got that all by myself from your location.) :P What? You're all 12 years old and that's too "grandpa" for you? How about "ViScAlItY", dude? :)

Even less interesting would be "JACoB" (Just Another Cover Band), "Seedy Jukebox" (cd/seedy, get it?), "Hit Station" (or "Hit Tunes" or Hit whatever, probably lots of these), "All Time Favorites", "Come See Us Play", "Dude, Here's Your Tunes!".

All free of charge. Use 'em all! ;)

(Yeah, naming a band can be very difficult. One band I was in was called "Ground Zero" ... and then 9/11 happened.)

"Hands off my sister"

"Buddhist Delight"

"Warehaus"

"Babaganoush"

"Here are my demands"

"Hasta La Vista"

"Texas in Winter"

"Moral Responsibility"

"Cohones del Caballeros"

"What-EVER!"

:wave:

Thanks all!

You guys are great; I knew I could count on you for affirmation and advice! :D

I love the band name generator and sample name lists. They crack me up.

Tonight we have our second rehearsal. I don't have to bring my drums since it's just a vocal rehearsal. We're going to nail down those country harmonies. Might get to open for Ricky Skaggs at the Hanford Fox Theater on October 9; if so we'll play for about 20 minutes or so.

We'll definitely need a name by then! I'll keep you all posted. Maybe we'll come up with one by tonight.

I was thinking of the name "Rendition" since we'll basically be playing our own rendition of lots of cover tunes.

--Rush, "Limelight"

So far the other guys haven't come up with any names yet. I suggested "Rendition" and they thought for a couple seconds. "We COULD use that name for just this one first show..." mused the guitarist politely.

I told him about the band name generator link from jeremyc and he wanted me to email it to him.

Tonight we went over vocals. I got to sing lead vocals on "If You Could Only See" by Tonic and "Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down, and harmony vocals on "Tracks Of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson and "I Can't Tell You Why" by The Eagles.

I won't get to meet the other guitarist till September 6 -- turns out he's doing sound/tech work for the Sacramento County Fair (which is several hours north of Visalia). They've only played with him once before, but they said he's really nice and a good guitarist and vocalist.

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Why does the band name have to reflect the fact that you play covers? I mean, it's not like every originals act has a variation of the name We Play Original Material ...

Ha! Good point EPB! :D

--Rush, "Limelight"

How about naming the band after where you live, Linkin' Park did it (they lived near lincon park) and it worked for Portishead i was going to do it but then i realized that my guitarist lives in a place called Nob End and the drummer lives in Gay Wood, so we wont be doing that.

N

"i must've wrote 30 songs the first weekend i met my true love ... then she died and i got stuck with this b****" - Father of the Pride

Archived