Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT boy scout jamboree

BigKahuna855

hey everyone, i just got back from 10 days at the 2005 national boy scout jamboree. if anyone has anything they want to know about it, i'll be more than willing to tell you what i can

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible thing that happened to that troop from Alaska. Did Bush ever make it? Any of your kids drop during the wait?

Would love to see some pics, BigK.

When I went in 1985, we had Hurricane Bob visit us. Something new for a bunch of kids from Northern Minnesota, in tents. :eek:

ATM

P.S. Something tells me that electricity and Scouts don't mix. I'll have to keep my troop away from outlets somehow. Not much chance of avoiding lightning in the lightning capitol of the world.

Kahuna, I'm game. Are you posting a site of pictures & stories? I haven't ever been to one of the big jamborees, but I spent 5 summers staffing at the Bartle Scout Reservation in Missouri.

Electricity and Scouting have a record of not mixing, at least on a couple occasions I'm aware of. About 10-15 years ago there was a leader killed in Iowa as he repaired something at a camp. IIRC, he was an electrician by trade but something was hot when it shouldn't have been.

I just spotted another headline about a Scout getting hit by lightning, this time in Utah. It'd be nice to see Scouts in the headlines for helping old ladies cross the street, like us old timers, rather than all this tragedy.

- Matt W.

I bet a lot of the scouts that were there are now inspired to get their electricity merit badges. Not meant as a joke but in all seriousness...if I were still a scout (despite my age) I know I would be if for no other reason than to know proper safety precautions when working with and around electrical equipment. I know they weren't really doing risky work setting up a mess tent from what I understand...but still.

Yes, Kahuna, please tell us about your experience. I never went out of Florida as a scout so I'd be interested in hearing about national goings on.

Yep, first the Tent pole, then the heat exhaustion. And then the lightning strike in California.

Scouting is about the outdoors, I suppose...so you'd expect when a lot of people in a club are out of doors at the same time, outdoor dangers happen.

Odd thing. The guy who sold me my first bass back in 1973 moved back to west Texas and was drilling a water well and died exactly the same way...pipes in the power lines.

Glad you got out safe.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

i dont know where to start. there was so much to do, and it was impossible to get everything done.

only one of our guys was affected by the heat, but being there was tterrifing, it seemed as though they were bringing guys in on stretchers every 5 minutes.

Bush didnt show up on the hot day, but it cooled down and they resceduled him for sunday. the fireworks display was unlike anything i have ever seen.

the jamboree got a lot of bad press because of the deaths and the people that dropped from the heat, but rest assured that it was perfectly safe and a lot of fun!

by the way, the best part was meeting people from around the world.

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

You bet! I had never seen a fireworks display like that before. Went on for about 45 minutes from each side of the stage.

We had the Oak Ridge Boys, the Beach Boys, and Nancy Reagan. How about you?

Not only meeting all those people, but the patch trading! ;)

So, got those pics developed yet? :)

ATM

Archived