Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Envelope filters - MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q pedal - UPDATE: Bob's home

_Sweet Willie_

I came into a small sum of cash recently -- 'bout $100. I'm considering blowing this on an envelope filter. I'd like to hear any comments from anyone about such pedals for around $100 -- new or used. I can probably go up to about $150 if push came to shove.

One that has caught my eye is the MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q from Jim Dunlop. I'll try to get out to test one soon. In the meantime I'd love to hear from y'all. Anyone used one of these? Comments? Opinions? Scathing critique? Boundless praise?

Also, I think there was a BP mag review of this pedal a couple of years ago, but my internet search skillz are not strong enough to find it. Can one of you masters of the online world track it down?

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can stretch it to 150 you could probably score an ebs bassiq. I recently scored one for about 180, afterwards I saw a BIN on one for 150. Was I kickin myself!!

I realize that you already have the ebs multicomp, it should give you a good idea about the ebs' quality. The website also has some clips of the bassiq, as does basstasters.com...at least I think they do.

Good Luck, and may the Funk be with you!

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Thanks, musicfiend, that's a good point. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used BassIQ.

Also, I dug thru some old BP mags in the basement and found the MXR M-188 review in the June 2002 issue. The BP staff was pretty positive on it.

The EMMA DiscumBOBulator sounds pretty cool, too...reviewed in the most recent issue (August). Probably more than $150, and most likely hard for me to find to test. Hmmm...

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Not heard it but MXR claim it's based on the 105Q Bass Crybaby, which does not bode well. I like the idea of the LFO controlled filter, though.

I remain very impressed with the great tone, versatility and simplicity of the BassIQ - it's a revelation after my near unusable Meatball. It also takes up far less space on my pedalboard.

Until you acquire whichever one, slip-sliding your way around your bass, with plenty of vibrato, slurs, slides, hammers and pulls, will get that funk feel without the need for extra enhancement. Been working without effects recently and it's proved very enlightening...

Mo' funk!

Ale x

Originally posted by getz76:

I had one about 2 years ago. Didn't dig it...

Pretty happy with that there BassIQ, though.

Thanks. I've been able to test drive the BassIQ -- definitely a nice pedal.

I'm definitely still intrigued by the EMMA Electronics DiscumBOBulator...approx. $185 new.

spreadluv

I've got an EH BassBalls (Russian version). Not an envelope filter so much as an envelope follower. It is a cool toy but it doesn't really seem to have much of a practical use unless I were to get Bootastically Funky...

Cheap enough to be worth it though. $50 ebay score for a flawless pedal w/ box and adapter.

• 5 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger and purchased an envelope filter. The $100 plus a gift certificate plus a little of my own cash and I am now the proud owner of an EMMA Electronics DiscumBOBulator.

Review later. Probably it's own thread.

For now I'll just say -- saaaah-weeeeeet!

Peace.

--Dr. Luv

spreadluv

Originally posted by jeremy c:

When you get it, Willie, how about going over to Getz76's house and A-B'ing it with the EBS BassIQ?

This is an excellent idea.

I've tried getz76's BassIQ -- it's delightful. I've tried my new DiscumBOBulator -- it's delightful.

Put them both in the same room and A/B them?!?! That's crazy talk! (And I love that kind of crazy talk!!!)

I'll start a BOB thread later, but suffice it to say that this pedal is phat and phunky. I'm very pleased.

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

Archived