Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

playing Christian music for money

tatudbassman

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many excellent points about being paid.

tatudbassman - being out of work seems like it would be bad. I think whatever you can do that earns money is good (pretty much what is in the above comments). I hope and pray that your situation improves soon.

I'm surprised that you received no appreciation. I've played in a number of church-related situations, and have usually been embarrassed by the thank-yous anc compliments that we've received. Of course I'm doubly amazed when someone compliments me (as opposed to singers, piano, etc.), because most people don't have a clue about bass.

If you played a benefit or for ministry, someone should be saying "thank you". Jesus would (gocha there, Steve - that's more how the WWJD thing comes into play).

I've been playing at Mass for many many years, Matt. Why not? Hey - the church I went to in the 60s had a group run by a banjo-playing priest!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

If you played a benefit or for ministry, someone should be saying "thank you". Jesus would (gocha there, Steve - that's more how the WWJD thing comes into play).
If people need a WWJD bracelet to remind them to say thankyou, the world is in an even sh!ttier state than I thought... ;):D:eek:

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

I played bass and keys with my church group for a couple of years, in addition to maintaining a busy performance schedule with my secular group on nights and weekends. That was my compromise between using my talent as a tool to provide for my family and giving it freely for a higher purpose. Interestingly, I found that for me, the experiences of leading a church in worship and entertaining a dance floor full of folks in various states of impaired consciousness were very similar. In the end, it's all about giving - reaching out to your fellow man in a positive way through the powerful gift of music. It's about giving the very best of yourself for the benefit of humanity whether or not there is a monetary reward involved...

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Thanks for all the good advice, and comments.

The benefit was secular in nature (Grandparents Against Crime). We took some secular songs and added our own lyrics (being a Christan band). Like...playing "Houses of the Rising Sun", w/it's original lyrics...and then adding the lyrics of "Amazing Grace" to it. Some old Negro spirituals (which were cool), "I'm a Believer" w/our own lyrics, etc...This has been what we've done in other bands, to send a positive message at clubs, and other events (playing Creed, U2, Collective Soul, and others).

Thanks again.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

I have also considered the ramifications of this. In fact, Here\'s the link.

I think having a paid praise band in a church is a good thing. So often,in volunteer bands, the message is skewed by players with giant egos and uneven talent.

But in my situation, I bring professionalism to the ministry. I play to the best of my ability exactly what is asked of me, and so do my bandmates. When the band is, in a sense, transparent to the service, the congregation can focus more easily on the message. And volunteers are often not able to become invisible (got a 15 yr. old kid next door with a Marshall?)

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Archived