Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Im losing the funk!

Hiya, this might seem like a bit of an odd one, i dunno. i just cant seem to write funky bass lines anymore :( . I mean, the ones i have composed for the tracks in our band work fine for the songs, but i cant seem to get away from the old octave and box shapes. I need some help, how can i learn to write more funky bass lines? If anyone can help, would really appreciate it. Cheers

Ash

Please check out my band PEYOTE at www.shithotrecords.co.uk/peyote. You can upload a profile+your bands tracks for FREE!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relax!

Listen to some stanky bass (maybe some James Brown, Sly, Meters, Tower of Power, P-Funk, Chic, Little Feat, or whatever else moves your booty) and try to play along with the CD's to get that syncopated 16th note feel back.

You probably just need to simplify - this is visceral BODY music. If your lines get too complicated it becomes cerebral music and that ain't where the funk lives, IMFO.

Originally posted by Fender Power Jazz Bass Special:

Hiya, this might seem like a bit of an odd one, i dunno. i just cant seem to write funky bass lines anymore :( . I mean, the ones i have composed for the tracks in our band work fine for the songs, but i cant seem to get away from the old octave and box shapes. I need some help, how can i learn to write more funky bass lines? If anyone can help, would really appreciate it. Cheers

Ash

I'm an IT guy, not a pro bass-player, so take this for what you paid for it...

...but I think part of your answer may be in your question - "the box shapes". I recently went to basslobster.com and watched some videos there of the greats - Jaco, Wooten, etc. While my playing can't begin to *TOUCH* their playing, I did note that most of what they played were some really limited/lame patterns, limited to 4 frets. You really need to reach for that 5th fret to get those extra chromatic notes to sound musical, in my humble (bowing head to the greats) opinion.

I'll defer to others for what "makes the funk" rhythmicially speaking...

Archived