Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hello Dolly musical

Snowdog79

I'm playing in the pit for a local production of Hello Dolly in two weeks. I've done a few musicals (Superstar, Little Shop, Bells Are Ringing), but I must admit I'm totally unfamiliar with this one.

I'm assuming it's written for upright bass. Anyone care to fill me in?

Thanks.

~Jeremy Hull

hullbass@gmail.com

www.myspace.com/Jeremyhull

www.myspace.com/cowpunkHolyMoly

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's for the Grand Prairie Arts Council, and it's taking place at Grand Prairie High School. That's all I know about it so far! I'll probably bring both upright and electric at the rehearsal this Saturday, since I don't have to run off and play anywhere Saturday night. I might just spend the evening hanging out with the wife...she won't know what to think :P

~Jeremy Hull

hullbass@gmail.com

www.myspace.com/Jeremyhull

www.myspace.com/cowpunkHolyMoly

I did that with them once (musta been 25 years ago!)...we played "Annie Get Your Gun" and at that time, somebody up there was really interested in having pros in the pit sharing the book with students! So I got to the rehearsal and there was a kid there with an upright bass. He wasn't really up to playing the thing.

I had to explain to the music director that while having 2 trumpets on a part isn't that bad, having 2 basses was unbearable.

What finally happened was that I played the show on electric, except for 2 ballads, which he played on URB. He got the chance to see how I do a show, mark parts and etc.

He later became a bass student at UTA, but I don't think he stayed a music major for too long after that.

I don't know how it is with them, but they were very laid back when I did this show. Bring an Ashbory if ya want!

You'll be playing in Earl Tom Keen Hall at the HS. When I played with them, Earl Tom Keen was the music director, a long time teacher there. It was his final show.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived