Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speaker (not cab) Question

davio

I've been wondering for a while now, are speakers used in guitar/bass/PA cabs any different than sub woofers used in car audio?

I have a 12" Alpine S-Type sub. Is it only different from a 12" guitar or bass speaker in that the cone is made of a different material?

I'm guessing the only other difference is in the specs (freq. response, power handling, etc.).

Am I right?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop ondering.....go play more bass... :D

Just kidding, but in answer to your question, I dont know.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I believe subs are not meant to reproduce the full spectrum, or most of it for that matter. They simply provide the bump and rumbl eto your grind. Also, you'll notice that a 10' sub is more than adequate at reprroducing frequencuies needed. A 12 is almost incoherent. And a 15 is insane and just provides a lot of rumble. Where as in bass amplification these sizes are all coherent and a 15 is what will rpovide real lows,, while a single ten will usually not cut it. Of course accugrooves don't count...I'm sure that those tri110s can provide all you need in the sonic spectrum, and more tahn youre used to as well.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Car speakers are designed to go very low and work in very small cabinets, at the expense of efficiency.

I know of one bassist who uses 1x15" car subs in custom-designed cabs as the low side of a bi-amped rig, and he runs over 3000W into the pair to produce enough loudness to match up with the single JBL 10" he's using for the highs (and feeding only 100W or so). The upside is his rig goes down to ~20Hz. The downside is the massive power and weight (i.e. no. of speakers & cabs) required to compete with a loud guitarist. IIRC he uses four fifteens when things get rocking.

Alex

If you search google for links on speaker cabinet construction you should find a lot of differences between speaker types. At a minimum, the size/shape of the cone, and it's intended use in ported or sealed cabinets comes to mind, although I don't know the details.

Archived