Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey MicroBass amp

bruiser_dup2

Hey all,

There was a review here a few weeks ago about the Pignose Hog 30 amp, and within that thread there was mention of the Peavey MicroBass amp. Someone who had played both side by side said they preferred the sound of the Peavey, so I decided to get one. It doesn't run on batteries like the Pignose, but that wasn't a factor for me.

I have a bigger amp (Carvin B500 and an Avatar B212) but I can't keep that set up all the time, and it's a pain to set it up just for practice. I have been practicing through headphones for years, using a Bass POD as the "amp" and mixing that with my computer's output for playing CD's, DVD's, and a software metronome. That works well, but I think that after doing that for years I may be damaging my hearing. After an hour or so of practice, I tend to keep turning it up. I've had tinitis for almost 40 years (seriously, I'm 54 and I've had ringing in my ears since, oh, about the time I discovered Hendrix :thu: ) and I don't want to make it worse.

So I thought a little amp that CAN'T get very loud would be a good thing.

The first MicroBass amp that I got from Musician's Friend was defective and had to go back. The sound was very raspy, even at very low volumes and with very little bass in the EQ. It was no hassle to return it, though. MF just E-mailed me a pre-paid FedEx shipping label, and I dropped it off at Kinkos/FedEx after work.

I just got the new one today, and I really like it. It really isn't very loud, but it's loud enough for practice, which is exactly what I wanted. For a tiny little amp (20 Watts, 8 inch speaker) it has a very nice, natural sound. It sounds like a bass amp, only not very loud. I don't know how it would sound with a 5-string, I'm playing four.

But I like it. :)

Bruiser

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I picked mine up from a drummer I jammed with who needed to upgrade, and the amp needed a new power plug. Took a chance, paid $70 for it and another $7-8 for a high-quality Hubbel plug. I swap it in the living room at times with my Fender BXR 25 and after A/B-ing both I'd say the Peavey's better for that classic/grundge/modern rock (phat) sound and the Fender's better for ligher playing. I like the low-B definition on the Fender a little better, but neither combo's gonna push enough air to make this heard over a percussion instrument.

What it comes down to is that your new MicroAmp will be fine at home (put an Shure SM57 on that and record it, then A/B that against an SVT rig) but you might need more speakers/wattage to be heard in band rehearsals.

With respect to our members that are employed by Peavey, some are good and some need work, but once I've sent a bad Peavey to the shop for repair, it's come back home well tempered and causes no further problems. (just like a good dog after passing obedience school)

:wave:

I have an early 90's Peavey Microbass that I bought used about 10 years ago. I mostly just pull mine out for living room jam sessions. It never fails to impress people with how good it sounds and how well it handles the low B. I've never had a hint of a problem with it. Great little amp, now if it were only 1200 watts! :D

Anyway, I have often thought about mic-ing it and hearing how well it records. Don't know why I haven't tried it yet but I imagine it would sound pretty good.

groover, the first studio I used with one of my little ones (I think it was in Red Bank, NJ) had a bathroom with half the tiles torn out and a wooden baffle with an SM57 on a desk stand. Fortunately I kept my opinions to myself until he played back the test results.

To quote Keanu Reeves, "WHOAH!" :D

Another studio had a half closet with wood paneling and a couple of carpet remnants hanging on little brass hooks so he could add/subtract them from the room. SM57 again. Same results.

Last studio I was in I used the engineer's custom-built 15" cabinet with a Peavey head. Something was not right, there was too much bass and not enough definition coming from the instrument. Next day I made him set up my Peavey MB in a spare bedroom (wood paneling and carpets) but I can't recall the mic he used. We nailed it, IMHO.

When it comes to recordings, I prefer the combos to the big rigs. Like you, I wish it could put out a few hundred watts in a small club.

:wave:

I've actually used mine to amplify the midrange and high end from my Peavey TNT 115. A little noisy, but it works. I send the high crossover output to my Microbass, which leaves the 115 to pump out a nicer, more solid sounding low end.

As for using it with a 5, it does lack the depth needed. By the way, it also works great as a clean, low volume guitar amp. :D

About the Peavey Microbass Amp....

I've had one for about 12 years, played the hell out of it on hundreds of small jazz combo sessions (used to amplify a double bass) and I just can't kill the thing....Head came loose about 3 years ago, but I figured I'd repair it when the amp stopped working - Still hasn't happened!! I'd still be using it for small club gigs if I hadn't picked up an AI Contra...

Probably the best $100 Canadian I've spent on any piece of Gear, period....

fm

Another Microbass fan. I've had 2 for many years, keep them in different parts of the house for ease of access. First one I bought the day I bought my first bass, still going strong. I've used them for acoustic jazz reheasals (piano, sax, drums, bass). If one gave up the ghost tomorrow it'd be replaced by another one without hesitation.

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

groover, the first studio I used with one of my little ones (I think it was in Red Bank, NJ) had a bathroom with half the tiles torn out and a wooden baffle with an SM57 on a desk stand.

Where in Red Bank? Butterfield's?, Gabriel Sound?

Archived