Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

CD:"The Best of Mountain" Best bass volume? Orig. or Remastered?

Jim T.

Has anyone here had the chance to hear both CD versions of "The Best of Mountain" CD? The original from the anolog/vinyl or the 2002 Remastered version?

I'd like to know if the remastered version has much greater bass clarity and volume. It was often hard to hear Felix's parts very well relative to Leslie West's guitar.

Thanks.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard this. I get my Mountain from a greatest hits cassette named "On Top".

ZZ - While I enjoy much of this, my favorite Mountain song wasn't written by West, but by Brown and Bruce - Theme From An Imaginary Western. I'm not up on WBL - have to dig that up.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

I haven't heard this. I get my Mountain from a greatest hits cassette named "On Top".

ZZ - While I enjoy much of this, my favorite Mountain song wasn't written by West, but by Brown and Bruce - Theme From An Imaginary Western. I'm not up on WBL - have to dig that up.

Tom

That's a great tune. "Nantucket Sleighride" is my favorite album of theirs, but I'm not a huge fan. Much more a fan of WBL. But West's voice is awesome.

Just to rehash: you got Jack Bruce, and then the drummer, Corky Laing, and guitarist/singer for Mountain, Leslie West (who was originally named Weinstein).

They did 2 albums, and the studio one, "Why Dontcha" (1973) really caught me off guard. I figured it'd be good, but it really smokes and gets better with each listen. The worst song is the opener/title track - everything else is top notch. If you dig Bruce or Mountain, I think you'll really dig it. Me and my drummer pal jam on "Shake Ma Thing (Rolling Jack) - great tune.

They did a live album, "Live and Kickin'" and that's durn good too. A bit short, 4 songs, but some real good jams and live Jack Bruce is always good. On the opener Jack sings the lyrics to the Rolling Stones "Play With Fire" to a great jam off "Why Dontcha" and it's awesome. He also has a great Indian influenced extended solo.

Both of these are easy to find too - not imports or anything. Totally worth the dollars.

I ended up finding only the remastered 2003 version and the bass is great! Much clearer and present than I remembered from the LPs. I think any bassist would be happy with the remasters and they don't replace the analog warmth with too much brittle digital edge.

Thanks.

"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had, and never will have."

Edgar Watson Howe

"Don't play what's there. Play what's not there" Miles Davis

Archived