Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Year of Neglect

davio

I just bought the Dunlop "System 65 Guitar Maintenance Kit" and worked my baby over real good.

Wow.

Just...wow.

I know I probably could have saved some money by just using some linseed oil and whatnot but I decided to spring for it (it was $20 at SA and I'd heard that it worked well). I desperately needed to get my act together because I've been neglecting this bass since I got it a year ago. The finish now looks like glass and I can see every subtle detail in the quilted maple that I so dearly love.

I cleaned and polished the body and cleaned and conditioned the fingerboard. I polished the frets and cleaned and conditioned the strings and lemme tell ya...wow.

It looks beyond gorgeous and feels like brand new!

If you don't take care of your instrument...seriously consider taking up this practice. Your bass will thank you for it for years to come!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was included in the kit and how many services do you think you can get for the $20 kit?

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

The kit I bought is about 1/2 way down the page.

It has the guitar polish and cleaner, bodygloss (cream of carnauba), string cleaner and conditioner, fingerboard cleaner and prep, fingerboard deep conditioner (not for maple fingerboards), 2 cotton polishing cloths, "micro fine" fret polishing cloth and pretty detailed directions.

It's hard to tell at this point how many more services I'll get out of this kit but it seems like there's plenty of everyting left to last me quite some time. Plus you can buy each product seperately to replace something that runs out so you don't have to buy an entire new kit. I'd say it's well worth the $20!

I also spent a buck or two on Planet Waves polishing cloth to keep in my case to wipe down my bass after playing because I use the other two for applying product and buffing so I can keep this one clean.

Sounds like a good deal. Thank you for the find.

"Some people are like "slinkies". They're not really good for anything;

but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a

flight of stairs."

Archived