Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How Many Strings Does Your "Main" Bass Have?

davio

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't even use all 25 - stick to an octave and 1/2 range, E to B. An occasional low D, I guess.

Also kick Hammond pedals, on both 25 and 32-note pedalboards. Use C to G on those, ecxept for classical, where I'll use all 32.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Originally posted by ATM:

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

Five--

need the B.

Love the B.

Be the B.

BEAD? ;)

ATM

...But...

need the G.

Love the G.

Be the G.

:)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• 1 year later...
Still 4. I have 2 5-String Laklands that I love dearly, but the Jazz Bass just keeps coming back for Classic Rock and Blues. They are hard to beat. I might add that my old Aluminum neck 4-string Kramer that I had EMG's installed in,is also back on stage.

My main bass is a fiver but I'm mainly a four stringer. I happened on a smokin' deal on a Status bass and simply couldn't pass it up. Originally it was strung BEADG but recently I restrung it EADGC and have found more use for it.

Status S1

EBS HD350

Aguilar GS212

Lots 'o effects.

My main bass was a 4 string for 26 years, until I bought my 5. For the last 10 months the 5 has been the main bass, but I still play the 4 stringers on occasion.

I like both 4 and 5 string, just into the 5 more right now. Call me a cheater :P , but I like to play the low string instead of changing positions, and those notes sound fatter.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Originally posted by SpaceGhost:

My main bass is a fiver but I'm mainly a four stringer. I happened on a smokin' deal on a Status bass and simply couldn't pass it up. Originally it was strung BEADG but recently I restrung it EADGC and have found more use for it.

What gauge strings do you use, particularly for the high C?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

My main bass has a bunch of strings and frets. I play music on it. :D

I've got a plethora of basses. My current main bass is my Mike Lull M5V (w/ five strings), but my use of it as my main instrument has more to do with how the neck feels on it rather than its string count.

My Stingray 20th Anniversary is my main squeeze and always will be.

My main live gig bass is a custom 5 string Elrick with a 36" scale & phenolic figerboard. My main studio bass is a 4 string Jazz body with an old Modulus P Bass size neck. Both basses are strung with flatwounds.
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

although I use a four, I would actually like to get a 5 string so I can add the high C string (most people think I'm crazy when I say this) so that way it can double as both a normal bass and a tenor bass, or of course a 6 string, but it's pretty rare for me to need a low B string... usually when I'm doing the cello excersises...

response to someone saying the bass was a spinoff of the g***r

SavedByJaco:the bass is not a spin off of anything, it's a hybrid. Like on Underworld, the guy becomes a mix between the Vampire (G***r) and Werewolf (Upright Bass) and totally kicks ass!

Archived