Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player's cut

LLroomtempJ

Recently got offered to do a gig at a club in nyc.

The singer who got the gig doesn't know what to pay me...and i don't know either.

I was thinking that since he is the "star" that the money get split 25-25-50 between bass drums and lead.

We can't set a dollar amount in stone, b/c our compensation is dependent upon the number of people that come out.

I'm calling on the advice of veterans and newbies alike.

jason "I'll be posting details about this gig in a few days" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if your just a hired gun

one for you one for you two for me

seems resonable

especially if its his gig and he has to cover costs like promo flyers and or gear rental.

but if its going to be a full time collabortative band kind of gig,

i'd be giving out equal shares

and expecting equal effort in return.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/LOWBOY/goth-T.jpg

Whenever I did fill in gigs for showcases (and I didn't know the folks), I took the entire door. It's usually less than $100 for original music.

If it's a cover gig, you should get your share; if the guy did the booking is also singing lead, he gets two shares.

The guy did the booking (well his agent got him the gig), he's singing lead and playing keys.

I'm learning about 10 original songs and 2 rearranged covers.

Compensation for everyone on stage is coming from the door.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

In the bands that I work with, the person who does the booking, bandleading, promo, etc. gets a double share.

If it is a cooperative band where everyone is sharing these tasks, it should be divided equally.

If you are a hired gun and not in the band--just filling in for the night....you should get paid first. If the band is playing for the door, that should be their problem...a hired gun should be paid....sometimes the band may need to lose money for this to happen.

I agree w/ Jeremy about hired gun. You should have your rate agreed upon before the show. If the "star" dosen't make alot of door$, that should be his problem, otherwise, it sounds like your a band member. Don't even think about the door. Ask for what you need to make it worth your while. Besides the hour on stage, think about the time to learn the songs, rehearsals, gas, "star" bs. Unless you just want to sacrifice to get your feet wet. If you don't charge your usuall rate the 1st time, it can be difficult to get it down the road. Maybe the singer might get "Johnny 4string @ the knees" then he will appreciate you more & your rate. :)

I've had a singer say the club shorted us $75, I stared @ him blankly & thought here we go. I told him that was not my problem & if you want me to bring in some of my guys to make you look good, they will be even less tolerant than me.

One angle you might want to look @ is he's hiring you to make him/her look good. He might have to come out of pocket @ this stage to make it happen for him.

I 've seen singers down here come out of pocket to get the best they can & it eventually pays off. I would look @ this guys band knowing what the musicians charge, the amount of people @ the club, & think this guys coming out of pocket $250 to sound this good. He has attracted the attention of labels bacause of it. :)

Archived