Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Aguilar combos

Gimmegroove

Hey all

I tried searching for this, but couldn't really find anything of much help...

I'm currently looking for a new amp, and I've narrowed it down to these 2 (3...):

Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo

Aguilar AG500 1x12 (maybe single channel)

I've sold all my gear; Mesa M-2000 head, Mesa 2x10 cab and Mesa Powerhouse 1000 cab, because it's WAY more than i need or want. And I remember that having a 1x12 combo was the best thing for me ever, because I once had a shitty Carlsbro 1x12 amp, but just the sound of 1x12 was really nice... I'm babbling...

Anyhow, the point is, has anyone got anything to say about the Aguilar combos?

Current set-up:

Ibanez SR3005 into a Mesa WalkAbout head with a Mesa 2x10 Powerhouse

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aguilar.. mmmmm.... Aguilar.

I've played the AG 500 head, but not the combo. The head sounded sweet through the GS112, but thunderous through the 410.

If you don't need the headroom.. the combo may work for you. I'd personally get the head seperate from the cab in case you ever decide you want to go big again.

Single channel is not my style... I want the option to go clean or dirty.

I put in a vote for the AG500 head and separate GS112 cabinet. You may appreciate the versatility later on, when you can mix and match cabinets to your needs.

As far as sound is concerned, I imagine that they are similar (combo vs separates) as it looks like the same cab design as the GS112 with the amp on top.

Had an Eden WT400/410/115 and sold it. I have a GK400/210 combo now. My next purchase is a GS112, and one day, a tube Aguilar head. Who knows if it will stop there...

i'm voting for the mesa. i've enjoyed the walkabout head, and i like the clever walkabout scout combo configuration.

on the other hand, i've never played through an aguilar amp, and i absolutely do not like aguilar cabinets. i've played through the GS112, and a GS410/GS115 stack. i couldn't cut through a wet tissue with any of them, let alone a remotely dense mix.

other people love their aguilar cabinets, so there's obviously something i'm missing. but if you already had a bunch of mesa gear -- and i'm assuming by that you like the sound of mesa gear -- you may as well stick with a known quantity that is also known good.

for what it's worth, i play through a bergantino HT-112 cabinet, and if i were to buy a combo, it'd be the nemesis NC-210.

robb.

I got the Walkabout Scout 1x12 combo for Christmas, and couldn't be happier with the sound. It reminds me of my old SVT3, only clearer and more dynamic sounding. Plus, being portable truly has it's advantages.

It held it's own the first practice against 4 guitars and a loud drummer. I did have the volume at about 9, so since then I've brought along a 2x10, and the sound is huge.

I've read the BP review of the combo, and it says, that you can take out the AG500 head and use it as a seperate... I also want the combo thing, like the all-in-one package. And I've heard so many good things about aguilar stuff... Me wants! *DROOL*

Current set-up:

Ibanez SR3005 into a Mesa WalkAbout head with a Mesa 2x10 Powerhouse

Originally posted by twentyamptwist:

I put in a vote for the AG500 head and separate GS112 cabinet. You may appreciate the versatility later on, when you can mix and match cabinets to your needs.

I concur.

Originally posted by twentyamptwist:

As far as sound is concerned, I imagine that they are similar (combo vs separates) as it looks like the same cab design as the GS112 with the amp on top.

I suspect they sound identical. And IMO a lightweight head and a lightweight cab are easier to carry than a single relatively hefty combo. BP complained about the combo not balancing well, and that would make it seem far more cumbersome than its weight alone suggests.

Alex

Well, I use a db750 with two aguilar 210s on a regular bass and I love it. The combination cuts trhrough, OH YES, it CUTS.

Anyway I recently tried the ag500 112 combo. The combination cuts trhrough, OH YES, it CUTS.

It wasnt as masive as my rig for obvious reasons but It did a GREAT job. It looked relatively light weight, the tones on both channels were awesome, and it put out oodles of sound.

And as ar as the balance of the aguilar stuff goes, I've noticed that when I'm carrying my 210's alone they balance fine but when I carry them with a bandmate all that balance disappeas and it feels like the cabs going to take off your hand.

I would love to suggest aq visit to your local aguilar dealer, but I'm not sure if there ARE ANY dealers in denmark. Good luck.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Archived