Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pardon my ignorance, but...........

Panick

:confused::confused:

I hope this post will reach the eyes of one of our resident "enlightened ones". And not one the 4 (or 5 or 6) String Jedi.

One of my new titles is Band "Web Guy". I know more about computers than the other three guys in the band, which isn't really saying much. But alas I don't know enough.

Could one of my fellow booty shakin technophiles tell me how to create a URL for a music or picture file on my computer that actually works for more than 5 minutes?

A friend suggested using yahoo briefcase, but that didn't work well. It worked for a few minutes, then it quit. :mad: What am I doing wrong, or is there a different way to get a URL for a file that will actually work?

:confused::confused:

I look forward to all the great answers that I know will come pouring in from all of my fellow low downers. :thu:

Call it..... pointless?

Here is a link to my other art, hope you enjoy!

My MySpace page

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a website? Do you know how to use an ftp program to put things on it?

Do you have a webpage? Do you know how to edit it?

Do you know how to save music files in various formats?

You'll probably have to learn how to do all of that.

Meanwhile, I notice that you are using mySpace. The 13 year olds that I teach all have very elaborate mySpace pages and have managed to post numerous pictures and soundfiles there.

There must be an instruction page for mySpace users.

AOL makes it reasonably easy for beginners to create webpages.

The main thing I need to know is what I need to do to link to an audio or video file on my computer with a URL.

I have a geocities and a bravenet web page, but all they seem to allow is pictures.

Does anyone know if either of the above two will let you upload an audio/video file. Does anyone know of a site that will (Preferably for little if not no cost. Remember folks, poor musican here.)

Do I have to save the file as any particular type? If so, how?

I wasn't joking when I stated the ignorance! LOL

Call it..... pointless?

My MySpace page

Originally posted by Panick:

The main thing I need to know is what I need to do to link to an audio or video file on my computer with a URL.

OK, so here's the first problem. Unless you are using your computer as a server (you are not), and your ip address is static (it is most probably not), the url is useless except for testing a webpage locally on your machine.

Like Jeremy said, you need to know a few things before someone can access your audio or video file.

1. You need a place on the Internet to place your file. Your computer is not that place. Your Internet provider (comcast, AT&T, AOL, Earthlink, etc) probably gave you a small amount of space to host a web page. Probably 5 or 10 megabytes. That should be fine to start.

2. You need an FTP program to upload the file to that space. There are many excellent free FTP programs out there. My freeware of choice is FTP Commander Free. Do a Google search, and you'll find it.

3. Your audio file should be in mp3 format. Compression rates are a delicate tradeoff between size and quality. Think of your intended audience. Dialup users? College kids with T1s in their rooms?

4. Video is a tricky one. The problem is that on the Windows platform, WMV and AVI seem to be the formats of choice, but in my opinion, you should use Quicktime. The quality/file size ratio is much better (this opinion comes from years of experience), and you run into less compatibility problems. A bit of advice about video, too. One is always better off NOT doing video than using tiny crappy video streams due to file size. If you are using a free hosting service for your files, forget video outright...you won't have enough room.

5. If you just want to host a song, PM me, and I'll do it for you.

"For instance" is not proof.

Great info! Thanks a ton.

I am actually supposed to have a static IP with my Bellsouth package, but I am still resolving some issues with them about my lack of services I paid for, so I may be changing ISPs soon. (The new service I'm checking into has static IP and a pretty large amount of webspace)

Thanks again!

Call it..... pointless?

My MySpace page

Archived