Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a question

prblack

The singer I occasionally play with mentioned that she liked my playing because "it was so warm and I finish my notes" What does this mean? :) I searched the forum and nothing came up. I am just curious is all. Have any of you ever been told these terms about your playing?

Pauline :P

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awww, ain't Jeremy a hoot?!!!!

In addition to her liking you, warmth generally refers to a tone quality full of the lower frequency ranges (but not thumpy or "bassy".)

Getting that tone is a combination of gear, LH touch and RH placement and fleshiness.

Finishing notes? A note has an attack, sustain and release. Many times players thump a note, but don't pay attention to the release of the note. I'll bet finishing notes means that the endings of each note are in time, and each sound exactly like those around them (unless you intend some to sound different.)

But then, these are guesses. Ask the singer.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

P'shhh, what do singers know. Tell her to stop talking about you, and to just stop talking.

Just Kidding,

Well, first you should thank the singer. Next course of action is to not worry about it, if you're doing it then you're doing it and it's part of your style...your signature. Just be you, don't pretend to be you!

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

In addition to her liking you, warmth generally refers to a tone quality full of the lower frequency ranges (but not thumpy or "bassy".)

Getting that tone is a combination of gear, LH touch and RH placement and fleshiness.

But then, these are guesses. Ask the singer.

prblack, take what Dave said here and work it out with her over coffee. The man is well-versed in the language of both music and love.

(said in an exaggerated Southern US accent from a bygone era)

Ah, yes, it must be da smell of springtime I be a-smellin' 'round heah! :love:

It means she thinks you're hot. Go ahead and use all those lame pickup lines you've read on the walls of men's room stalls at Hooters. They'll work! :thu:

As my fine colleagues have also stated, note duration is an important part of the groove.

A good example is the part that Pino Palladino plays on the chorus to Don Henley's "New York Minute". Notice how he cuts off on beats "2" and "4" to leave space for Jeff Porcaro's glorious backbeat on the snare drum. Oh MAN! I get woozy just thinking about it. Now that's a guy who knows how to finish his notes! :thu:

Originally posted by LizzyD:

Creating a good groove has as much to do with when you release a note as it does with when you start it.

Thank you. Thank you for saying that. It seems like a lot of people think about getting the note in the right place (if that!), & then think their work with that note is done. You can make the same line of notes feel totally different by changing nothing but how you "finish" the notes. And I think if you're not paying attention to these issues, in general your playing will sound a bit sloppy, without nuance, not groovy, lackluster.

Maybe off-topic, but this reminds me...I recently got roped into singing (again) in a small choir. One of loudest altos would hit a note (well, you know), and then it was like she was just waiting until she had to move again. As a result, the tone was awful, and the pitch dropped every time. Some of those notes sustained over multiple bars were just painful. Fortunately, for the performance a louder alto with better sustain showed up! :D

The singer might not be hitting on Pauline.
Well, I'm pretty sure that Pauline hasn't read what's written on the wall of the men's room at Hooters. But do we know the singer's not hitting on her?

Myself, I didn't think anyone was hitting on anyone, anyway. I thought it sounded like a vague remark, & it might be useful to know what the singer meant, so as to keep doing things right!

Originally posted by BenLoy:

It means she thinks you're hot. Go ahead and use all those lame pickup lines you've read on the walls of men's room stalls at Hooters. They'll work! :thu:

Oh dear... sorry for the confusion there Ben.. :eek: Thanks for the replies everyone. I kinda had idea of what she may have been trying to say and it just seems that I should go on just doing what I'm doing. She likes me .... she really likes me: !!!

Pauline :D

Archived