Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's Upright tone do you like?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Holland. Maybe because he's the band leader on most of the stuff that I hear him. Anyway, that's the sound I aim for.

Also, PC and Ray Brown, but I suspect that their reputations were such that they could ask for more from engineers. Then again, maybe they were such monster MFs that their basses would sound that way no matter the recording medium.

Best live sound I have heard was Christian McBride, but there was no drummer on that gig.

Hmmm... Ray Brown's tone on Night Train is a fantastic old school sound. Scot La Faro on At The Village Vanguard is great in a more cutting edge way. But I think my favourite is the clear fat sustaining sound of Ron Carter on ESP. That's the tone I'd want if I played URB, and just another reason why I haven't taken it up - I wouldn't be happy with anything less good! (And then there's the fact that a 3/4 size upright is only marginally smaller than my house...)

Alex

Originally posted by Big Daddy from Motown:

If you think the 3/4 upright is bad what do you do with the case for the thing, it's as big as a tent and you can't fold it.

i've used it a couple of times as a sleeping bag. works quite well actually. oh, you are talking about a hardcase, good point.

anyway, if a have to make only 1 choice soundwise i just go for the one song:

Rainbirds from Tom Waits with Greg Cohen on gutted double bass. That sound always always always enraptures me. Listen to it on a good stereo and try to disagree.

i hate the sound of low action on double bass, all the acoustics are lost that way.

Oscar Pettiford, Charlie Haden. I also like Jim Hughart. Heard him on some straight jazz recordings as well as "Nighthawks at the Diner". He sounds great. I also love Larry Taylor's bass tone.

Anyone with a big round sound, too many to mention. Much as I love Scott LaFaro's playing on the Village Vanguard sessions I'm not overly keen on his tone, too thin and aggressive on the higher strings.

Archived