Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gas attack

ChrisOfDoom

Arggg. Some of you may know I have been gassing for a Musicman Sterling for a while now. Well, I walk into my local Guitar Center looking for some mics, and naturally wander back to the bass department. I see a big rack full of Musicman basses on clearance for DIRT CHEAP. Brand new Bongos and Stingrays for 800-900 dollars a pop. I think to myself "damn shame they don't have a Sterling." Well naturally as soon as I think that I see it, on a stand on the floor, a Musicman Sterling 4 string, transperant red with a perloid black pickguard. Beautiful, 850!!!!!!!

Allow me to drive this home, MM Sterling, in EXACTLY the colors I want, for less then the price of the average used one.

Here I am broke off my ass contemplating what a kidney goes for on the black market these days.

Just ranting.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

put it on layaway man.

Get a part time on the job solely for the purpose of paying for this bass. Doesn't matter what it is...think about what you'll be getting after your first $850 comes in.

If you really want it, you'll win if you buy it. Your happiness should take precedence to a lot of other things in life.

get the bass...post pictures. Post solo samples.

jason

edit: or else

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

God bless ya Chris. My GAS bubble pops by the end of this year when I will reward myself with either a Fender American Deluxe Jazz, a new Carvin, or the aforementioned Sterling (orange/black perl if I can find it, trans red/ black perl if not!).

I'm going to assume there were no lefty Sterlings at the Guitar Center up there, eh? If there were, one of my kidneys is gonna be on eBay.

And if they have an Ampeg pre-amp on clearance, then my other kidney is hitting the wonderful world of online auctions, too.

Just hope my dialysis machine is an all-tube 4-ohm'er.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

WHAT JASON SAID:

Your happiness should take precedence to a lot of other things in life.

Wise man, that man :D Go for it :thu:

I've decided on a custom built D\'Alegria fretless Dart (5 strings) which means I'll have to stop buying cd's for a while - and I buy tons of em, each week - but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Give and take, man, give and take ...

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Well, Chris already has a job, so getting a part-time job will not work for him.

Normally, I would advise against layaway, but in this case the bass may disappear before you manage to save up all the money.

Maybe it's time to hit up the parents for a loan. We can be witnesses for you and attest to your seriousness about bass playing.

Good luck, Chris, and I hope you manage to get the bass of your dreams.

This probably wont happen. I comfort myself knowing that I would prefer a maple board, and this is rosewood. The timing couldn't have been worse, I just spent 1500 on a car (minor things ya know?). Ah well, I was totally willing to pay BassNWs price on it when I did have the money, so that hasn't changed.

ANYWAYS, if any of you want a MM bass for dirt cheap, the Tukwilla WA guitar center has some ridiculous prices on all models (Bongo for 800 dollars!!!). I asked the guy there why they did it and he said they were getting a new shipment in soon.

Sidnote: I hate the Bongo, it is just so ugly and it just doesn't play as nice as a Stingray or Sterling, and I was having trouble dialing in any great sounds from it.

Originally posted by ChrisOfDoom:

This probably wont happen. I comfort myself knowing that I would prefer a maple board, and this is rosewood. The timing couldn't have been worse, I just spent 1500 on a car (minor things ya know?). Ah well, I was totally willing to pay BassNWs price on it when I did have the money, so that hasn't changed.

ANYWAYS, if any of you want a MM bass for dirt cheap, the Tukwilla WA guitar center has some ridiculous prices on all models (Bongo for 800 dollars!!!). I asked the guy there why they did it and he said they were getting a new shipment in soon.

Sidnote: I hate the Bongo, it is just so ugly and it just doesn't play as nice as a Stingray or Sterling, and I was having trouble dialing in any great sounds from it.

This is the same way I got my Sterling for $700 at the Kirkland Guitar Center. They blew out their MM stock because they had "more stock ordered".

Suddenly I have that recurring GAS for a 5 string Stingray again. I hate this GAS.

I feel your pain. I need (yes need) a Stingray. I've resolved to save for one, even given my bank card to my parents to hide. Shame things so expensive in UK. £1185, which is $2260!!! A quick look on Musicians Freind quotes $1,165.50 - $1,288.50. Nearly half the price. If I lived in America I wouldnt have to decide between black or white pickguard. I'ld have both.
Bog visoko, a Rusija daleko

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that we cannot ship a new Musicman or Sadowsky bass outside of the United States as per the Musicman and Sadowsky dealer agreements.

Still, some nice stuff on there. I'm left handed so this narrows it down a bit but I've sent them an e-mail.

Thank you, Chris, you are a genius

Bog visoko, a Rusija daleko

The best truth you can interiorize is that there are many many special basses in the world. Missing the opportunity to buy one is not the end. There will always be another wonderful instrument.

I've used this idea to be at peace with what I have (even before I had a nice custom job).

Others see this as instrumental equivalent of eating lots of refried beans. The GAS always comes - you have to learn to deal with it.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Tom Capasso:

The GAS always comes - you have to learn to deal with it.

Tom

This has now become my new official motto. Thanks, Tom. Words of wisdom.

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Archived