Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New toys

Basshappi

Well my pedalboard expandeth!

I have been looking around for a chorus pedal. I did not care for the EH Small Clone or Polychorus, The Sm. Clone seemed too subtle to me I think that this unit is voiced specifically for guitar and just doesn't effect the bass freqs well enough. The Poly was like a jack of all trades-master of none.I felt that it too is voiced specifically for guitar. I don't know if it has internal trim pots so that it could be 'fine tuned' but I doubt it. I also don't care for a multi-function pedal without presets.

I have been interested in the Digitech 16 voice Chorus but was very unimpressed when I finally played through it. It had a sterile, overprocessed sound that I could not dial out. The other thing I hated about it was that it sounded like someone had walked over to the amp and maxxed out the treble. It also induces background hiss. the gate clamps down on this but will open if you even lightly touch the strings. This might not be noticable in a live environment, but would be completely unacceptable in the studio. On the good side, it is probably one of the most variable choruses for bass and is true bypass, so it doesn't suck your tone when switched off. I have read reviews that said that the effect will bleed into your signal even when switched off, but I did not encounter this problem. I suspect that the bypass is electronic so if the curcuit is faulty this could happen.

The store where I take lessons had a Danelectro Cool Cat and when I plugged in, lo and behold, there was the chorus sound I had been looking for! Full and rich, it takes the exact sound of my bass and choruses it, no adjustments neccessary. The pedal is simple and offers a wide range of effect from subtle to surf-like watery goodness. The unit is dead quiet both in and out of operation. I believe it is true bypass because when it is off it has zero affect on my tone.

The thing is built like a tank with a heavy steel case and non-skip rubber covering on the bottom. I guess the only drawback is that it is an 18v pedal and my Godlyke will not power it so I will have to get the adapter. If (when) my board gets much larger I will have to incorporate a DC "Brick" or VoodooLabs "Powerall" then I'll be able to power it from there.

Sitting next to the Cool Cat was a Dano Daddy-O overdrive pedal and after playing with it for a while I bought it as well. I'm still playing with all the variations offered by the controls on this one but so far I use it to get the synthy sound on ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man". I think it is also true bypass because when it is off it doesn't suck my tone like the Big Muff does. The Daddy-O is a 9v so I can tie it in with my daisy chain.I has the same case construction as the Cool Cat and the Fab Tone distortion pedal (which I hope to find and demo soon)

Speaking of the Big Muff, I have found a company that does some neat mods to them and am contemplating having them do a true bypaas and a few other mods to it.

Well that's all for now on this episode of "As The Pedalboard Grows". :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool news, next episode..the addition of a pog?

...What is this co you speak of that mods big muffs...i might want to give them some business. I'm just lookin for a way to have the muff goin with my dry bass signal as well..but how!?!?!?

BTW, whats that hot jazz bass youre playing on your bands ebsite in its graffiti yellow goodness?

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Well, like you, I am hoping the POG will drop in price a bit more before I buy one. Next will most likely be something in the phaser/flanger category. Also I am becoming a distortion/fuzz/overdrive junkie, and that new Sansamp Tri-DI pedal is interesting me.

As for the Big Muff mod co. I have the link on my computer at work so I'll post a link tomorrow.

Thanks for the Jbass compliments. That is my MIJ 62'RI. the color is 'vintage cream'(often referred to as 'banana pudding')the amber lights at the bar make it look a little brighter yellow that it is. I snazzed it up with a pearloid pickguard and it has a Badass II bridge, other than that it's stock. I love this bass, it's my main player right now.

Cheers!

Hey Musicfriend, here is the link to the company that will mod the Big Muff...

J. Everman Co.

I'm thinking about the whole enchilada with the 6-way tone stack.

Cheers!

Looks like nice work, I bought a vintage muff though, so I'm not sure I'd be willing to go into the endeavor. I'm really interested in a small pedal I can use to split off my signal between clean, muff, and maybe an envelope filter so that I can keep some clean fundamental while I use the muff and any envelope filter I might want...

But seriously now, why are we the only ones chattin here, cmon people hop on the conversation.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Archived