Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bonified, uhh...Bona Fide Gear Happiness

musicfiend

I just got off the phone with a player that might buy my old amp. Then it hitme, with the extra moolah I'll be able to buy a eh pog, a nice g*%tar amp, and then I'll be able to fix up an oold drumset I have and be able to have nice little jams at mi casa more often. I'm happy.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats! I'm jealous of POG owners. :P But fortunately the prices are coming down and they are starting to sell on ebay for less than $300. One will be on my pedalboard soon! :D

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Yea, I feel jealousy too. But, I just a few go on ebay for around 260....used units of course. Still, I'm gonna try to make the pog my last purchase so that by then the price will hopefully have dropped signficiantly( please just gimme 240 eh).
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

OK, I'm a jerk, but I've got to make a Spelling Police stop here: it's bona fide. It's a Latin phrase meaning, "in good faith," or "genuine."

But the real point is, I do not even want to think about what the verb "to bonify" would mean.

bonify

\Bon"i*fy\, v. t. [L. bonus good + -fy: cf. F. bonifier.] To convert into, or make, good.

I tried to bonify a sentence but i'm not sure it's right.

Correcting English is a sign of old age ... I have to physically restrain myself all the time ... I'm having therapy, which also covers ellipsis addiction ...

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Okay, Bonify.

Looks like your definition came from This online dictionary.

But they don't give a definition for "bonified," although it is assumed you can change tenses to anything.

It's how our language is made, uh, richer.

I can imagine what "bonified" means, and that's the trouble.

And the topic starter didn't mind being corrected...that's nice.

I guess I should embrace my old age. I wake up daily and go to school thinking about the "these kids today" syndrome, which I feel wrapping around me like a sheet.

At any rate, we only give to the level of others' expectations. So if I make a change, at least it will be in the public eye...

And I have an idea.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Davo-London:

bonify

\Bon"i*fy\, v. t. [L. bonus good + -fy: cf. F. bonifier.] To convert into, or make, good.

Well, cut off my legs and call me Shorty!

Durned kids! Git offa my lawn!!

This discussion brought to mind an old song and a reminder for us elder musicians not to judge the next generation too harshly:

"I have to be careful not to preach

I cant pretend that I can teach,

And yet Ive lived your future out

By pounding stages like a clown.

And on the dance floor broken glass,

The bloody faces slowly pass,

The broken seats in empty rows,

It all belongs to me you know."

- Pete Townsend, "The Punk and the Godfather", from the Quadrophenia album

After all, when we retire, they're the ones that will be running the planet. And they'll have to answer to their own children for what they did or didn't do. What goes around...

:wave:

I've always respected Pete Townshend as a vivid writer with questing lyric.

I had an aunt, 7 years older that I, just old enough to do it all in the sixties....acid, Woodstock, teen rebellion, a wild child.

She died last year of liver cancer.

In her older years, she was a social worker who acted as ombudsman/advocate for senior citizens who had a hard time understanding the new world.

She had one child, a son whom she lovingly named after her own father. And she raised him a free spirit.

Later, when he was a drug addict, small time crook and chronic prisoner, she confessed that she regretted it all.

She said, "I realize now that we were wrong. All that free spirited rebellion, even if it was in search of truth and love, should have been corralled."

Yes, we will be cared for by those who are currently young. I do NOT believe for an instant we should repress them, beat them, berate them for what they do.

But we have the responsibility to teach them about the importance of self discipline, personal accountability and honesty. And, perhaps, spelling.

Society will evolve past us, that is true. But there are some things that ring eternal. Let us celebrate those things.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Archived