Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jon evans / Mark Hawley

Eric Beam

anyone else a fan of Jons bass sound on the last few amos recordings? it never leaves the bass realm but is never muddy or covered up. the sub notes are just sick.. i know half of it is mark hawleys engineering.. live is same deal.. chamberlin/evans best live sound i've heard. how is this done?
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, count me as a fan of Jon Evans (and Tori). I don't know what the recording set up is as far as bass, but he's using a Lakland these days. However he sounded just as amazing on older stuff with a Tobias.

I don't think there is anything wild and crazy going on gear-wise or recording technique-wise. Just plain old good recorded bass tone like the pros know how to do. Maybe the fact that there isn't a big guitar presence in the mix has something to do with it. It also helps that he's such a tasty player. I've been hugely inspired by him and Chamberlain on the last few records, and the live DVD from last year.

I get to see him on the SF Bay Area local scene when he's not on the road. Just saw him killin' it on string bass with a great trio--The Michael Bluestein Trio , with Michael on piano, and Jason Lewis on drums. Jon also has a recording studio and is an excellent engineer. I've gone to record there several times, and having Jon in the booth is daunting and inspiring at the same time.

Archived