Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

victor wooten

Shaggy8900

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a very cool person from what I understand. Its so very nice to have such a powerhouse in both technique, style, personality and originality be such a cool, down-to-earth person. We should all take his example.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Originally posted by Shaggy8900:

i dont know, im sure im ignorant to all the great bassist out there, but from what ive heard i think i like Victor Wooten the best

Vic is indeed worthy of a "most popular" award, but there are others. Search for other posts about Vic and you will probably find many great players listed alongside him.
- Matt W.

Vic's funkiness stems from the fact that he has a style all his own, much like the aforementioned bootsy. He's also very willing to share teh technique with others- this is what gives him the popular vote. A lesser man would hide the secrets of that technique from the masses.
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Okay now.

Time to list the attributes of ALL favorite funky bass players.

Again.

Nah...I'm jes kiddin' Shaggy. We talk about Vic all the time.

What I like is to see that he has made yet another convert. I first converted to Vic a way long time ago...maybe 1990 or something like that.

Welcome to the club.

Discuss.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Listenin to a live version of amazing grace right now....so nice, such a great show of technique, TOTALLY MIND BLOWING, but totally unique as well, funky as your week old gym shorts, and totally musical above all.....still wondering why he's so great?
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Heard an interview with Vic Wooten on Sirius radio last week. He does a song on his new CD (Soul Circus) where he has a bunch of modern bassists singing a tribute to all the classic bass players, (Ray Brown, Jaco, Stanley C. etc.). Old Vic doesn't forget his raising -- he remembers who came first and led the way.

victor wooten is an amazing player, unbelievable talent,

that said i dont like his lines. they are rediculously busy.

As far as funky bass players... how about paul chambers (for real just listen to so what on kind of blue). jaco pastorius ( where should i start?), marcus miller (nuff said).

Dirk lance ( listen to science, and morning view, hes

extremely good at locking in and keeping a steady groove thats drenched with funky gracenotes and a thrown around beat)

ben kenny ( just watch incubus live at red rocks, nuff said).

Guy berryman ( listen to God put a smile upon your face, and everythings not lost).

Tim Foreman ( bomb, love is the movement).

these guys are all amazingly good at locking in, they have the chops to show off but they dont they lock in, keep the pocket and still add hints of funk here and there. imo those are characteristics of good players. bass is there to support the bands sound not create it.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Vic rules.

The funkiest, though? I dunno...

http://www.nndb.com/people/150/000025075/bootsycollins02.jpg

YAAAAAAABAAADAAABADOOOOOOZZZZAA BABA!!!!

(I got casper on echoplex)

Archived