Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Iannacone/Joss Stone bass

flyscots

Hi people :wave:

I was wondering if any of you could help me find some information on Peter Iannacone who is currently playing bass with Joss Stone's band.

Personally I'm just interested in what he's done before but a bass playing friend of mine is also looking for clues as to how he gets his sound -what gear he uses etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John Scott

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember any BP articles on him, but it's a good suggestion - I'll forward it to Bill Leigh.

I'm assuming you've done the internet search stuff - I don't know any special places to look. I looked on-line a bit and didn't see anything on Peter.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• 1 month later...
I think that Pete was a friend of mine at back in the day. I doubt there'd be 2 bass players with the same name. We played in a band as kids in the Albany NY area (Safire - 80's covers)and also went to Berklee together, although I quit after a year. Too stoned. Anyway, he was a great player then, but I lost touch of him as you do with so many over the years. Good to hear he's still at this as a career. I gave up although play regularly for fun. Have some cool guitars, a good home studio, but not anywhere near babes like Joss!

I believe Leanard "HUB' Hubard did some stuff with Joss Stone as well, I think it was the song "fell in love with a boy" and in that instance he uses an envelope filter.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Correct musicfiend. That's a really cool song. ?uestlove from The Roots was also involved with that song, and a few other of her songs, but as far as I know that's the only one The Hub plays on.

goldtop - cool, thanks for sharing your story! He is a great player yeah, everyone in her band is really good actually actually.

Hey There

Musicfiend, does Leonard 'Hub' Hubbard go by any other names? I just checked my copy of the Soul Sessions and Bass was listed as Adam Blackstone for 'Fell In Love With A Boy' and I can't find Hub mentioned anywhere else.

I just want to find out more about whoever laid the groove on Fell In Love..... It's soooooo damn funky. C-YA

Ben

I could easily be wrong, this is simply what I heard when lurking on another forum...but all the people there seemed pretty competent and were in agreement. But, as I said...I could be mistaken.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Hmm, well I suppose everyone, including me, thought that because "Fell In Love With A Boy" was basically Joss Stone & The Roots it must be Hub who played the bass, but you're right Ben the credits say Adam Blackstone. (click on his name to see his website) They look kinda similar!

Hey Flyscots

Yeah I just looked at Adam's website and he does look 'kinda' like Hub. I guess it doesn't really matter who played it so long as I learn what I can from the tune. Like how to be in the pocket and funky without playing exactly the same thing over and over. Kinda like Jamerson, I guess. Cheers

Ben

The only thing other than Joss Stone's "Mind, Body & Soul" (which is a great album) listed for him on allmusic.com is the 2000 album "American" with Angie Aparo.

I admire Joss Stone. She's surrounded herself with excellent muscians, producers, and songwriters. She's had Desmond Child co-write a few for her, and one of her main producers is Mike Mangini, who has played drums for the likes of Extreme, Steve Vai, Mike Kinnealy, and James LaBrie, and has an impressive list of producer credits as well. Peter Iannacone is in good company, it seems, and I very much enjoy his playing on "Mind, Body, & Soul." Though my hero of that album is Raymond Angry and his wicked clavinet playing on "You Had Me."

Ben - yeah I know what you're saying!

Clark - I totally agree! Apparently the instrumentation on "You Had Me" was a jam and just after they got that take nailed (the one you hear on the album) the lights went out. Powercut. No ordinary powercut though, this was the big NY blackout from a few years ago! The power didn't come back for days and only when it did did they find out that the jam had been saved! Talk about lucky timing!

Have you seen them live? If not, I urge to you to check them out if you get the chance. Pete & Ray are in the live band. If it's unlikely you'll get to see them live, the DVD is worth watching.

John

I believe that the bassist from The Roots might have played the part on "Fell In Love With A Boy". I know for certain that ?uestlove from The Roots played the drums on that. It sounds like the bassist is using a MuTron or something to that affect on that song. Other than that, I'm not all that familiar with her work.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived