Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

i'm looking for a bass synth

jonnie 5

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

accurate tracking can be an issue. The Akai Deep Impact is a cool one, but since it has been discontinued, they pop up used for twice, sometimes three times the new price!

i use a Roland V bass - tracks beautifully and is quite a piece of work. if you are going tp pay $300 for a used Akai - i say go ahead and find a used V bass for around $500-600 -

the thing kills. Hope you like manuals! good luck- A.

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Are you talking about a pedal or a bass?

For pddals, there is the Boss Bass Synth pedal which is adequate for some sounds. Electroharmonix makes some great pedals that might do what you want.

For basses, there is the Line 6 Variax bass and the Roland V-bass.

There are the older Roland G-77 bass synths and if you can find a Peavey Midibase, later called the Peavey Cyberbass, somewhere used, I recommend buying it. But not if I see it first.

Steve Chick's latest invention is due soon (He invented the Peavey Midibase and various other bass/controllers). He gave a pretty impressive demonstration at NAMM.

Jeremy, I'd like to hear more about Mr. Chick's new thing. I once bought and sold 3 Cyberbasses for dirt cheap...sadly, that was WAY before I was playing bass. They tracked better than anything out there. The frets were wired, right?

"For instance" is not proof.

Jeremy, i had no idea Steve Chick was at NAMM-

i briefly owned a Wal 5 with the wired fret system a la Midibase and it was awesome, except i did not care for the Wal bass- i am extremely interested in what he has cooked up

Praise ye the LORD.

....praise him with stringed instruments and organs...

Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD.

excerpt from- Psalm 150

visit me at:

www.adriangarcia.net

for His glory

Steve Chick had a tiny little booth on the ground floor of NAMM...it was only two rows over from the AccuGroove booth. I discovered it by accident, no one was there besides Steve and me when I was there.

Yes, Chick invented the fret-switched bass, which is the only way to go for a bass controller. Various companies have used his technology, including Peavey, Valley Arts, Yamaha, and I guess Wal.

This year he was showing something he called the Chicipic.

You played with the pick, the pick had a wrist strap on which was a wireless transmitter. It was transmitting a signal to a laptop computer. All the bass sounds were being generated by the computer and then fed into an amp.

He gave a pretty impressive sounding demonstration for me.

I think he's coming out with a new midibass as well.

Here\'s the Steve Chick webpage.

Judging from his website, I don't think his gear is quite ready for the market yet.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

I use an old Ibanez envolpe follower and a phazer with some tube echo from a Line6 to great effect. I have been wondering about the synth effeects too. Oh yeah, Welcome!

Anybody else have some ideas as to a "synth" signal chain?

I've got a fuzz on the board and a BassBalls on the way. I'm looking for an octave pedal, phase pedal, and possibley a delay.

So.. I'm thinking: fuzz --> bassballs --> octave --> phase --> delay

or maybe: octave --> bassballs --> fuzz --> phase --> delay

I'll either end up with something cool and synth like, or something very noisy.

Archived