Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strings for Sting Ray

TuckLM

OK all you Sting Ray freaks. I'm looking at trying some different strings on my Sting Ray and looking for some recommendations.

What do you use and why?

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of those really super enormous questions. It's extremely unlikely you'll get any really useful information. You'll get a lot of information, though--if everyone answered, you'd get a different answer for every post.

There aren't any Stingray-specific strings.

What is it you're looking for?

I guess I should add that I'm currently enjoying a set of EB Hybrid Slinkys on my Fender P.

The Warwick has DR Red Devils. The DR strings seem to mate perfectly to the Warwicks.

DRs or labellas 4 me. Got a set of Labella super steps on my fender and i love them!

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

forgot to say i love steel strings to. I use only steel strings 2 becauce i need the bright sound from them but kinda hard on the hands 4 me

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

DCR:

Yes, this is big question. I've played this bass since '77 and I got to thinking that I may be into a habit. I used to use Roto's, Boomers, Ken Smith, yada yada. I'm doing a lot of experimenting right now with different amps and gadgets, so now I've turned my attention to strings. I've got B 52's on it right now and don't like 'em, too brittle sounding.

So now I turn to the wisdom of the group. DR's get consistantly good reviews, I've noticed. TI's, well who can argue with that? Strings keep evolving, so what do you use and what is it about them makes you buy a second and a third set?

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

D'Addario roundwounds .045-.105. Had a major clicky clicky problem with my Stingray at first and thought it was the strings (Rotosounds back then) but turning down the high eq knob slightly on the bass solved it. I like the D'Addarios because they sound great, last a long time, and you can get them cheap in the 2 packs ($24 at MF).
my band: Mission 5

Archived