Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing under the influence.

73 P Bass

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny this topic should appear - I just had this conversation with my bandmates after this past Saturday's gig...

While none of us ever get overtly smashed during jobs, three out of the five of us generally put away a couple during the course of the night. It has no perceptible effect on my motor skills or sense of pitch. However, it does affect my perception of volume. For example, 80dB and 120dB (just throwing out some random numbers) sound basically the same to me - kind of wierd...

Having said that, we have an unspoken policy that no one is to engage in any type of behavior that compromises the quality our performance. It's just a matter of common sense.

Finally, we have a more immediately compelling reason not to over-do the alcohol... We tend to play very long sets - usually around three hours. At a typical four hour wedding where the guests arrive and eat dinner right away, we kick into our high impact "dance" set right after dinner; then it's an all out dance-tune marathon until the end of the night. We never take breaks. Our mission is to keep that dance floor packed, and nothing kills a party's momentum worse than the band stopping for a break. That means three straight hours with no potty break. If you get too much beer in ya, you'll find yourself in a world of hurtin'. :)

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Speed is very nice for Speed Metal, and Death Metal in Scandinavia

Marihuana really four drops with Reggae, but watch out not falling off the banana tree.

Cocaine is critical for pop, but works well with be-bop from 320 BPM up, and red Ferrari's.

Heroine for sorta Cream style, but only recommended when Ginger on the drums. Baker without Cream sucks like black coffee.

Hashish work good for hippie style stuff, but use newpapers to roll the joint. The red is fine for arab classic, the white for Himalaya music.

Then i have friend who pump horse medicaments, well sorta Grateful Death music, but not from SF.

Mushrooms are good when you can sit down while performing, recommended for styles who repeat the same pattern for days.

LSD works well with colorful music where the concert lenght is over 8 hours, also use a pillow from India to sit on.

Alcohol for bavarian polka, tirolien march and army bands.

did i forget some?

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

This has been posted too many times! Do you want to be a half-ass?...then that's fine. Plus that's a great example for the up and coming musicians? These guy's: Fred the bass player, 73 P Bass, Jeremy C, BenLoy, and many others here have been around and are very wise...period! A beer or two, every now and then, but don't make it a habit. PARTY AFTER YOU'VE DONE YOUR JOB.

Here's the best:

getz76; Papalegba thinkresponsibly

Take it from a 42 yr old who was drinking and doing drugs since 10 (sober now). And PTL I have brain cells!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

did i forget some?

You most certainly did... Heroine for traditional jazz. Oxycontin can pinch-hit if necessary. :)
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

The 'pool players rule' applies here...

A couple of beers during the night while playing will relax you, but any more than three will begin to make you a progressively worse musician with each subsequent drink or beer.

Stay off the weed because it screws with your memory.

Just forget about hard drugs completely!

Originally posted by Angelo Clematide:

my comments where meant as sarcastic warnings.

As were mine. Beyond the implications for musicianship, I don't believe in being a slave to ANYTHING - especially foreign chemicals! The fact that heroine was the vogue thing for jazz musicians in the 50's and 60's lead to a lot of shattered lives.

Kirk

Archived