Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Highway 1 P Bass...seems nice to me

SteveC

So I went to the store during some down time today and played a bunch of basses, keeping an eye open for a passive something.

Anyway, I played a pretty nice Fender American Highway 1 Precision Bass. I didn't plug in, but it sounded nice acoustically. The neck was different from other P basses. It felt more like a Jazz neck, not so "baseball bat" like. It was really light as well. I liked that. The downside...it's a new bass so $550 was the price they threw at me. It's been in the store a while so maybe I could talk them down a little more. Also, the color, Daphne Blue. It's almost baby blue in that Satin finish. It might grow on me. Maybe a nice white perloid pickguard would help...and a BadAssII bridge.

Anyone have one of these? Any comments?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't quote me... but I don't think the pickup is the same as the one used in the American Standard P-bass. A new Rio Grande or _______ may be in order.

Also, a frequent complaint is that the finish isn't very durable.

Blue is a great color, one of my favorites, it's just that this is kind of a "girly" blue. No I don't NEED another bass, but I am really lovin' the passive P vibe lately. I still like a "J" type neck better. I'd probably be better off building my own P with a J neck.

The reviews seem mixed, but I thought it sounded pretty good. I'd have to go back when I had more time and really play it, maybe take it home and try it with my amp, etc.

Thought I'd see what the experiences were with people here, too.

Originally posted by 73 P Bass:

Are the Highway 1 series the same as the Mexican's but assembled in the U.S.?

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm not 100% sure about the "order of quality" for Fender Basses. Is a Mexican this better than a Japanese that? Is a Squier better than a Highway1?

I never really had it spelled out for me.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

I am almost 100% sure Highway One basses and guitars are made in the USA, not Japan or Mexico.

I used to play a highway one strat, it was made in the USA, and sounded great. It was red, w/ no finish. I liked that. Over time the finish would wear away and the guitar would have character.

The whole point of the Highway guitars and basses is great sound and playability with just the bare bones essentials. Its like a regular american strat or P-bass, just stripped down. Great if you're a constantly gigging musician and you're always on the road. Hence the Highway 1 designation!

I have yet to play a highway one bass, but I would look at it really hard if I was buying new or used.

-note- I no longer have the highway one strat, now my electric guitar is a LP studio model. Same concept as the highway models.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

i just bought a Fender Highway-1 jazz Bass off Ebay.

I've played the Highway-1 jazz's, verse the Standards, and man, i never knew how big of a difference suttle things like where the bass was made could sound so big!

i dunno what to tell you though, i haven't played the Highway-1 P's, just the Jazz's.

i've never really liked the huge necks of P basses (at least they seem huge when your used to playing an Ibanez lol) nor do i like the annoying buzz created by P-bass pick ups.

here's the bass i just bought:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/79/8f/03_3.JPG

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Steve --

Are we Jonesin' for another bass again. . .?

Buy it, slap a Lindy Fralin P pickup in it and that'll be that.

Been havin' thoughts about dusting off my black "bastard" P again. Maybe with the Rio "Muy Grande" P that's in the parts drawer. . .Would be a nice "complement" to my usual "J" setup, I'm thinkin', because I kinda miss "that sound".

I'll quit now. . .Not much of a "GAS Reliever", am I. . .?

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Exactly my thought, Rooster. Lindy Fralin and a BadAss! The problem is I've sold every P bass I've had, as I really like and use the low B string, especially at church.

I know...hopeless and pathetic. :(

I don't know, and I am in lower league of GAS management, however, if you are ready to let go of that kind of money (550 + pick-up + new bridge) wouldn't that add up to the price of a Vbass unit, and couldn't that unit provide that sound that you like as well as many other ones?

Originally posted by Richard John:

I am almost 100% sure Highway One basses and guitars are made in the USA, not Japan or Mexico.

I used to play a highway one strat, it was made in the USA, and sounded great. It was red, w/ no finish. I liked that. Over time the finish would wear away and the guitar would have character.

The whole point of the Highway guitars and basses is great sound and playability with just the bare bones essentials. Its like a regular american strat or P-bass, just stripped down. Great if you're a constantly gigging musician and you're always on the road. Hence the Highway 1 designation!

I have yet to play a highway one bass, but I would look at it really hard if I was buying new or used.

-note- I no longer have the highway one strat, now my electric guitar is a LP studio model. Same concept as the highway models.

Actually, the Gibson "Faded" series guitars are the same concept as the Fender Highway 1 series; both are stripped down versions of the American models and in both series the major compromise is a lighter satin finish. The Gibson Studio series has been around much longer than either the Highway 1 or Faded series. True, studios were also created to lower costs, but the main compromises with the studio series were the lack of body binding and dot inlays instead of trapezoids.

Originally posted by bassric:

I don't know, and I am in lower league of GAS management, however, if you are ready to let go of that kind of money (550 + pick-up + new bridge) wouldn't that add up to the price of a Vbass unit, and couldn't that unit provide that sound that you like as well as many other ones?

Well, I'm not interested in a V-Bass, but you are correct in the thinking that by that time, I could almost buy the parts and build a bass.

Just checked the Fender site... seems they've changed the layout a bit over the weekend. I like it a lot!

So the differences to me seem to be the following:

American Standard P

Poly finish

Graphite Reinforced Neck

American bridge (through body stringing)

S-1 Switching system

American P Bass Split Single Coil PUP

Option of Rosewood Board

Cast/Open Back tuners

Hard Case

Highway 1 P

Satin Lacquer Finish Body

Modern C Shape, Satin Poly Finish Neck

Vintage style 4 saddle bridge

Standard Vintage Alnico Split Single-coil P Bass PUP

Standard Machine Heads

Gig Bag

The main differences for the price point are going to be the following:

Gig bag vs. Case

Bridge/tuners are cheaper

Finish

Pickup

Now for something new, sorry Steve, it's active.... Looks like there is a new model. Check out the "Active P Bass Special". P body, J neck, P/J pups, Active electronics, probably MIM w/ US components.

"The Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special is a blend of a P Bass and a Jazz Bass with a few surprises to boot. The Deluxe Active P Bass Special has an alder P Bass body and fast, Jazz Bass neck (modern C shape). Onboard electronics include a P/J pickup configuration and an impressive 3-band EQ all U.S. electronic components. Other features include a gold anodized pickguard, a side-mounted output jack and chrome hardware. The Special is proudly built by Fender employees in their modern facility Ensenada Baja California, Mexico. A deluxe gig bag is included."

Thanks NUTT.

There are so many Fender Bass models out there, I really can't keep 'em straight. And I definitely can't tell 'em apart.

I've been to top-of-the-line studios that have a $350 Mexican Pbass in the house but I've also been to some dudes apartment studio that features a $9000 original '51.

I would love to see an accurate and descriptive breakdown of the various Fender Basses.

IE: How does the "US JAZZ BASS PICKUP" differ from the "60's JAZZ FULL RANGE BI-POLE" differ from the "NOISLESS J BASS PICKUP" etc etc

It's really hard to get a overview from the websites and catalogs. Every single Bass, Pickup, Neck, and Wood selection in there is "full & punchy with lots of warm detail, & growl".

To put it another way:

Can anyone hear dry '72 J-Bass and recognize it as a '72 J-bass? If they were hearing a 2004 Squier and you TOLD them it was a '64 Custom Shop J-Bass...would they be able to tell the diff?

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Warmoth.com has a good write up on wood selection HERE . Check bestbassgear.com for "can't go wrong" gear. The pup write-ups there aren't so bad either.

Generally the basses go like this...

****Disclaimer, this is all straight outta my crazy crazy head****

Squier -- CHEAP, stay away.

Fender Mexico -- Good starting point for build up (adding bridge, tuners, pup, etc)

Fender Japan -- Made in Japan and Crafted in

Japan. I think MIJ is for export and CIJ is for Japanese market. The CIJ are supposed to be GREAT instruments using some US Fender parts. Most artist models and such are MIJ. By all accounts these are comparable to the US made instruments.

Highway 1 -- US Made, different (less expensive) finish and some less expensive parts (I think).

American Standard -- Better quality parts than MIM. Pretty much "the Standard" for P-bass and J-bass as far as quality and consistency using highest grade Fender factory parts.

American Deluxe -- More options like added/subbed pickups, active electronics.

Yeah i got a American Fender P and i love it and all,but the neck is way to big (especially since i have smaller hands) Er...if the neck is anything like the jazz maybe ill look into it! Anyway there was nothing like my old squire, it had a jazz neck p bass pickups and the jazz pickup added at the bottom great sound **cough for 6 months** This tends to be the fate of most squires however, now it just sits on the wall for decoration. Back to the question though ive heard mixed reviews on the highway ones and i honestly think your better off with an American or like you said just building a P with a jazz neck.

I don't like the big thick P neck either. That's why the Highway 1 is interesting. It's a thinner neck. The string spacing is about the same, maybe a fraction tighter, but I think it's P bass spacing.

Archived