Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with Jaco's Chromatic Fantasy

ondray

He plays a high G on the 22nd fret of the A string according to Hal Leonard's Jaco Pastorious tab book.

But Jaco played on a 21-fret Jazz bass as far as I can remember. Is the book wrong and should I just use the 17 fret of the D string instead?

I am playing an American Precision Fender bass and it's really hard to play the high frets.

How did Jaco play the higher frets? Did he make any adjustments to his Jazz bass? Or did he change his technique?

I tried letting my thumb loose and just float my fretting fingers around the 18th-21st frets. It seems to work but it's really difficult changing positions between the standard thumb at th back of neck and the new position.

Will be grateful for any insight into this matter.

Thanks.

ondray

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The person who wrote that particular Jaco book, Sean Malone is a great bass and stick player. I first learned of him from a prog/death band called Cynic. I own the book and I found a few descrepencies. But you know what?... not many books out there where there's always a thing or two one wouldn't disagree with.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

If it's more comfortable for you to play the passage with the G on the 17th fret, go for it. I don't know that passage, so I'll have to check it.

It's still stumping you I could ask Matt Scharfglass (Ben's Jilted Stingray). He did some transcriptions for that book and may be able to help.

I have a bunch of those Jaco transcription books and I disagree with the 'suggested' fingering (TAB)about 40-50% of the time. I wasn't under the impression that the TAB in those was supposed to be 'the way Jaco played it'. Is it? Not like it's going to change the way I approach the songs, I'm just curious at this point.

My advice would be to play the songs however you find it comfortable. Just because someone else plays it one way doesn't mean that same way is going to be the best for you.

Thanks Ben...

Though I do have some transcriptions in the Jaco books, I honestly can't remember if "Chromatic Fantasy" was one of my tunes or not. But in any case - Eddie, Ben and Bump are right on about not necessarily sticking to the tab and just playing it any way that's comfortable for you.

Regarding discrepancies...keep in mind that a lot of times, the editors of tab books make judgment calls and change some of the tabs, so what you're seeing isn't always what the transcriber originally sent in or intended. Sometimes the editor is correct in doing so, but one such call comes to mind that burns me to this day...in my tab of "Havona," the tab for the 16th-note riff in B that comes at the end of each section was changed. Can't go into the details as I don't have it in front of me, but suffice it to say that the way I originally had it tabbed made it at least possible to play. But at least they left the notes intact.

Originally posted by Ben's Jilted Stingray:

Sometimes the editor is correct in doing so, but one such call comes to mind that burns me to this day...in my tab of "Havona," the tab for the 16th-note riff in B that comes at the end of each section was changed. Can't go into the details as I don't have it in front of me, but suffice it to say that the way I originally had it tabbed made it at least possible to play. But at least they left the notes intact.

:D

That was one of the TABs I saw and thought, "who would ever play it like that??" Good to know that was an editors change.

Here is the riff of doom in question:

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/Havona.jpg

I like the way I play it. It feels natural and there is only the one position shift.

Hey, thanks for posting that! Here's what I originally had. I don't have any graphics, so I'll post it in this format: fret(string).

First beat is the same.

Second beat: 10(D)-9(G)-11(G)-7 harmonic(D)

Third beat: 7 harmonic(G)-7 harmonic(D)-11(G)-9(G)

Fourth beat: 10(D)-9(D)*-9(A)-12(E)

Minimal position shifts, and the harmonics go by so fast you can't tell they're harmonics. I could be wrong, but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

*I know this note is different from the A you have in your examples, but this is how I remember it (it was a few years ago).

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

Yeah, I tried using my own style so I ended up using my thumb, index,middle and ring finger to fret the higher notes(18th-20th frets). It has worked quite well so far at a slower tempo.

I haven't got the tab book for Havona yet,only guitar pro tab, but would love to try that after I nail Chromatic Fantasy. I actually practised the ending first because that's my favourtie bit but am now in the middle of the song. Wow Wee! It's good for finger and sixtuplet exercises.

Yea, I would love to try using harmonics for higher notes too but I turn the treble knob all the way down so they don't sound at all. I dislike those scratchy noises you get with high treble switched on.

Anyway, thanks again and hope you guys have fun with Havona!

ondray

P.S. For the guys who like Chromatic Fantasy, check out Bach's Cello Suite No.1 in G Prelude. It's quite similar in style. If you need the original score for that, feel free to email me for it. ondraysux@hotmail.com

and by the way, if you haven't noticed, Emo is so cool.

P.S. For the guys who like Chromatic Fantasy, check out Bach's Cello Suite No.1 in G Prelude. It's quite similar in style. If you need the original score for that, feel free to email me for it. ondraysux@hotmail.com
Don't worry, Ondray, I have a copy. :D

and by the way, if you haven't noticed, Emo is so cool.
I've noticed, and I disagree. :P

Archived