Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Voodoo...shame on me!

_Sweet Willie_

Dig it.

I just got D'Angelo's Voodoo.

Shame on me for not having owned this music since its release.

Shame on me for not having purchased this CD any of those times I read or wrote about Pino Palladino on this forum, including the comments about the switch on his bass that produces all the cool notes -- no more, no less.

Toooooo shmoooov.

Peace.

--Dub $$

PS: Shame on me for not having replaced Brown Sugar after it was stolen from my car. That's next...

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tsk tsk tsk...Willie, how could you slide on this for so long? Well, at least no you have it.

That Cd is one of my all time favs: the grooves are D-E-E-P. Both Pino and Charlie Hunter throw it down. Great reference for anyone who wants to know what we mena by "groove" or "pocket"...or anyone that thinks for a rhythm section to be tight the kick drum and bass must phrase together..

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

funny story.

When voodoo first came out, i wasn't playing bass.

fast forward to 2004.

I was hanging out with a lady friend of mine when "voodoo" came on the cd changer. I was like "holy crap" i never heard THAT before. It was like listening to whole different album. But i couldn't get over how i could've missed so much on one album. I kept going on and on and on and on about it.

I think this was my first time hearing a song like that in a new way.

The relationship didn't last long. I think she skipped bass appreciation 101 as a freshmen.

jason

after typing it out...i realized that it wasn't so funny. I think i'll call it the marginally interesting story.

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Tony Levin has raved about what Pino and Charlie did on this album. He said it's the most interesting thing he's heard coming from bass players in awhile.

I still can't make a bass sound as laid back as that without getting seasick.

Damn. This album should be required listening for all bass players. "Chicken Grease" is currently playing as I type this. I have a strong desire to throw my groovesteak on the grill and have a funk-out; it's like a cook-out, but different.

Originally posted by Gospel5.5theZealot:

mmm groovesteak.

peace,

wraub

Uh...Jason?

Ummm... What's up with that post?

Is there something I should know about you?

Or me, for that matter?

:D

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread I went and picked up Voodoo last week.

First listen and I thought: This is all right. Second listen: This is great! Third: This is f***** awesome, dude! :D

My favorite bass player is now Pino!

Thanks guys!

I forgot..

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Looking forward to your thoughts, Bumpdawg.

Currently I'm diggin' hard on the track "Chicaken Grease".

What are some of y'all's favorites trax?

Peace.

--Dub $$

Mine is Chicken Grease and Feel like makin' love

Gospel, I've experienced the same "listening differently" phenomenon. In fact, in some ways I think being a musician kind of ruins just listening to music (and of course, in some ways it makes it a completely new experience!) We definitely listen differently than non-musicians, there's no doubt. I find that songs I used to like, I don't like anymore, even if I thought it was a "good song" before. Balanced by that, I find that there's also plenty of stuff that I now like that I might not have liked before.

Sounds like I need to get this CD!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Gospel5.5theZealot:

funny story.

When voodoo first came out, i wasn't playing bass.

fast forward to 2004.

I was hanging out with a lady friend of mine when "voodoo" came on the cd changer. I was like "holy crap" i never heard THAT before. It was like listening to whole different album. But i couldn't get over how i could've missed so much on one album. I kept going on and on and on and on about it.

I think this was my first time hearing a song like that in a new way.

The relationship didn't last long. I think she skipped bass appreciation 101 as a freshmen.

jason

after typing it out...i realized that it wasn't so funny. I think i'll call it the marginally interesting story.

Don't you mean Bassest appreciation 101? hehehe

• 1 month later...

So I went out, old, conservative me, and bought this yesterday.

First time I've ever purchased a "Parent Advisory" recording.

Interesting grooves, deep pocket. How do they get that recorded bass sound to be so fat and not overpower all the other twinklin' stuff in there.

But what really got me was the tune "Devil's Pie." The lyric.

The message here impresses me in the same way that Pete Townshend's "Who Are You" or Peter Gabriel's "Big Time" do. Or a number of others by those two guys.

I am an unabashed fan of socially conscious lyric, and (as Townshend's "Behind Blue Eyes" notes) when the messenger is generally ostracized it's even better.

I was at the Who final farewell concert in Dallas; it was very cold, but sure enough, some girl had taken off her top and flashing the band...and it was played on the big TV screens.

And Roger Daltrey said, "Look at this girl." But the way he said it hinted of her craziness because of the cold and contempt for the social message she was sending. I respected him even more then; Rock and Roll notwithstanding, right is right and sense is sense.

So, hat's off to D'Angeloo the lyricist.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

...But what really got me was the tune "Devil's Pie." The lyric...

Yeah, this was the song that made me buy the record when it first came out. I saw him perform it on some awards show w/ Pino and it had that same unbelievably round sound as it does on record. But like you, what got me was the fact that there was actually some intelligent R&B being presented to the mainstream.

I love this record, but for some reason I never went back and bought Brown Sugar (his first record). I'm sure it's worth buying, can somebody witness to the congregation?

Ah, nice marmot.

• 1 year later...

*bump*

I just bought this album and the grooves are indeed sick. In case you don't know this album go buy it. Now ;)

The liner notes raise a question, though. "Bass" is credited to Pino Palladino[1], Raphael Saadiq, and Charlie Hunter. Then there are tracks like Left&Right where the credit says "All instruments: D'Angelo"

So... D'Angelo plays bass too?

Oh, and how do they create that increadibly thick bass sound?

jitter

[1] In general the tracks Pino is credited for are the weirdest concerning beat placement :)

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

-- Leonardo da Vinci

D'Angelo plays keyboard bass, as on 'Devil's Pie'.

I suspect that thick bass sound is down to old flatwounds, P-basses, judicious muting, a soft touch, and a nice old compressor like an LA-2.

This album is definitely on the list of essentials that every bassist should own.

Alex

Busted!

Just got it from iTunes about half an hour ago. I'm getting sucked in. I'm having a slice of "Devil's Pie" right now. I should be mowing my lawn. My wife is giving me dirty looks, may have to take a hit for the funk.

Archived