Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want to change my goliath III 8 ohm to a 4 ohm without changing speakers

manfredbass

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by manfredbass:

I want to change my goliath III 8 ohm to a 4 ohm without changing speakers. A diagram would be handy

The only way I know of to do this is to change the speakers, unfortunately. You could rewire it completely in parallel to a 1 ohm load, but I don't know of any amps that will drive that low of a load, plus you'd have to also replace the crossover with one that is custom-made to work with a 1-ohm load.

I'd assume you want it to be 4-ohm to use more power from your amp, right? It might be cheaper and less problematic to just get a bigger amp... ;)

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I once owned a Bag End 4 x 10 - 8 ohm cab and had the same request.

Bag End told me they would have to replace all the drivers and the circuitry.

I sold that and purchased a 4 ohm Goliath 4 x 10 and it working outvery well..

I would contact SWR directly about your request and find out if or how you should proceed.. I dont know what type of impact it will have on the warranty if you blow it up! Good luck

www.danielprine.com

Search feeature shows that it's possible

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/5/t/010923.html

Edendude let's us know that he rewired his cab from 4 ohm to 16 ohms....

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

You can't go from 8 ohms to 4 ohms without changing out the drivers on either a 2x10 or a 4x10 cab. If you are going to keep a balanced power distribution among the individual drivers, no conbination of series/parallel wiring will work.

Here's a VERY useful 'Impedance Calculator' resource to help you figure out what kind of cab impedance changes you 'can' make by re-configuring your cab's wiring.

Just plug in the impedance values of various drivers and the calculator will show you the total impedance values for a multitude of series/parallel wiring configurations, using up to 16 individual drivers.

Click here...

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/impedance_proc.php

But a word to the wise...

Changing the impedance of your cab by reconfiguring the wiring, also moves your crossover point.

When I changed my Eden 2x10 over from 4 to 16 ohms, I took the horn and x-over out of the circuit, because the one horn in the other 2x10 cab is plenty enough. So the x-over issue was not an issue I needed to be concerned with.

P.S...

The really cool thing about that impedance calculator I have given you...

It generates a detailed wiring diagram for every possible wiring combination you feed into it. Cool or what?!

Archived