Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Accugroove tri 112

dsanders

Hey everybody! I am intrested in finding out what the accugroove tri 112 can actually do. I searched and found some good discussion on the cab, but I would like a little more detail. Right now I'm lugging around a Goliath III everywhere I go, it sounds great but I would love a smaller cab. If anyone has had an experience with the tri 112 how well does it hold up in a high volume setting, particularlly with the B string. And for Jeremy, would you say that one of your accugroove 210s is comprable to a typical 410 in volume and presence. Thanks :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And for Jeremy, would you say that one of your accugroove 210s is comprable to a typical 410 in volume and presence. Thanks
The answer is yes.

Wally Malone should chime in soon about the tri 112L and Steve Lawson will pop in about the tri 110L. And then there is way2fat with his whappo jr.

There are a couple of major differences with the AccuGroove stuff from most other cabinets. Firstly you have this approach of having multiple drivers in individually tuned compartments, with crossovers distributing the different parts of the frequency spectrum to each of them, meaning that they are much more efficient when trying to produce full frequency sounds - each speaker gets to do what it's best at, which in my experience leads to far great clarity across the whole spectrum, without the need for over-enhancing the highs or lows with EQ.

I've got a pair of the Tri110s, which are light, robust, and sound incredible. I mostly use them without any additional PA support, and quite often use them as the PA on jazz gigs, putting piano, sax and drum overhead through them as well!

I can't comment on the comparison between a 2x10 and a 4x10, as I've never in my life owned a 4x10 cabinet (too big and bulky for me!), but I do know that these 110s sound better, clearer and louder than anything else I've tried of comparable size, and a lot of things of much larger size.

As your question addresses 'presence', I say the AccuGroove cabs have a huge amount of presence, if the signal you put into them has presence. They don't really add anything to your sound, they just don't take ANYTHING away, unlike just about any other cab I've tried...

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Thanks for the imput steve, I'm really thinking about replacing my 410 with an accugroove 210 or even a tri 112. I have played through the 210, I drove done to Atlanta this summer and tried it out at the Atlanta Bass Gallery. I must admitt that I was a bit disappointed at first, I expexted to hear a huge sound. What I actually got was the sound of my bass, and that's all. After I had played the cab awhile I realized that what I was acutually missing was "ear junk food". The accugroove was doing it's job wonderfully, it was faithfully reproducing the sound of my bass. I liked it alot. I just am a little curious if they can hold their own in a loud band setting.

They can hold their own in a loud band setting, and then some. And unless you are in a very large venue, they can probably do it without PA support; I did it with a Whappo Jr. at the South Broadway Athletic Club in St. Louis, capacity in the 700 person range.

www.ethertonswitch.com

I think you'll find that you use amp and bass EQ differently when you play through an AccuGroove (or an Acme, or maybe also an EA cab). Based on my limited trials w/ AccuGroove cabs, it seems to me that tweaks to your EQ have a greater impact on your sound compared to more conventional cabs.

I like the AccuGroove Tri112 a lot. I haven't tried the Tri210 yet. A pair of Tri112s is really nice.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Based on my limited trials w/ AccuGroove cabs, it seems to me that tweaks to your EQ have a greater impact on your sound compared to more conventional cabs.
This is certainly true - when I got my AccuGroove cabs, my sound was initially way to bright and twangy, until I realised that I'd had LOADS of treble wound in to compensate for where my previous rig had had deficiencies. as soon as I took that out, and let the 'Grooves just deal with the sound of my bass, it ruled. (and one of the nice side effects was that no added treble means less hiss for recording).

Your junkfood analogy is a good one - we have got used to cabs that have a built in 'sound', but don't really do much else. The AccuGrooves, in my experience will accurately amplify the sound of your bass (or whatever else you put through them) - my solo gigs end up with lots of sound going on that sounds nothing like bass, and it deals with all of them really really well...

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

My $.02 if I may...

I like the Tri210 better than the Tri112 particularly as it nears the low B as the lowend curve of the lower threshold of the cab seems to be gentler - it feels like it doesn't diminish or drop off as fast.

I must say that both of these cabs are amazing and I doubt very much you would be disappointed with either.

Me personally - I am holding out for a Jr. You're writing this down, aren't you Mark? ;):D

Just as we take advantage of what is, we should recognize the utility of what is not.

- Lao-tzu

It's what I make - it's what I play

I like the Tri210 better than the Tri112 particularly as it nears the low B as the lowend curve of the lower threshold of the cab seems to be gentler - it feels like it doesn't diminish or drop off as fast.

I must say that both of these cabs are amazing and I doubt very much you would be disappointed with either

Thanks for the info, I am thinking about going with the 210 and the tri 112. I would almost always be using the 112 alone, but the 210 could be used as needed, and then I could always use them together :D:D:D

Sounds like a good idea, Mr. Sanders. Maybe I should have done that instead of buying 2 210L cabs. I rarely need the two of them and often even one of them is overkill. Last night using one 210L in a large room with 200 people or so on the dance floor, the bandleader (keyboardist) asked me to turn down at one point.

I later asked the guitarist if he thought I was too loud and he laughed and said, "If he were next to me instead of you, he would have asked me to turn down, my amp (a Hughes and Kettner) was cranked."

dsanders- You'd save a few hundred if you just popped for the whappo jr. 69lbs. of thunder in a box. Hell you could add a subwoofer later. It would probably keep you regular, too.
Thanks for the suggestion, I have already thought of using the Jr., but I'm just not interested in a 212.

Thank you for the scoop on your reviews JPJ, I will definately check them out :thu:

I've had my Tri112 for a good while now and really like it. I used it at a corporate Christmas party with a six piece band. I used the Read Purity preamp and a Crest Audio power amp. The sound engineer that evening was watching when I was tearing down at the end of the night and realized that that was the only cab, he was impressed. When I got it the 210 wasn't in production yet. Next time I have the opportunity I'm going to try the 210 and 112 together.

This is my first time in a week on the Lowdown. I just got back home last night and did try to log on to the Lowdown today and wasn't able to access the site on my Mac. I just talked to Jeremy who told me there are some problems with the new system and Macs so I ran upstairs and am using my PC laptop. Hope they straighten this out as my Mac has DSL and my laptop is on a dial-up.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived