Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BRYAN BELLER LEAVING SWR!

dsanders

Just got an email with a copy of Bryan's press release. I just want to know, who will write the entertaining manuals after Bryan is gone? Man he has done some cool stuff during his tenoir with SWR. I will continue to be an SWR devotee, but I'm sad to hear that he is leaving. :(

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The man plays well, has written some great tunes, has one of the best personal websites on the web imo, and has done good stuff with swr. I trust he's moving on to bigger and/or better things.

P.S. I outgrew SWR as an amp, maybe this doesn't figure into the equation...but there is always that chance.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

This is so sad. After the buyout, Bryan went out of his way to support SWR as a part of Fender, and his own participation. I saw him at BPLive doing his thing in the SWR area (next to Fender).

I guess the changes were too much for him.

It sure seemed like he knows what he's doing (and writes so well).

Maybe it's the start of a new "super company" (like the super groups of the 70s). Made up of Alex Aguilar, Bryan Beller, and Steve Rabe. Maybe Lane Poor can consult...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I know he's been wrestling with this for a while now, I can't say that it totally surprises me that he's leaving. The trips back and forth between Arizona and southern California all the time would get really old.

I'm sure whatever he does now will be well and groovy. If anything, it may mean more musical output from him, and that is always a welcome thought.

Sorry for the vague post guys. I really didn't want the word amp wedgie to have to come up, i apologize.

What I mean is that when I bought my swr setup (consisting of a bass 750 head and goliath 3 cab) I was in love with the sound and every feature of the amp. Time went on and I relaized little things on the amp bothered me: the limiter and aural enhancer circuits were not to my liking, there was a LOT of hiss when I either turned the tweeter on at all or even turned the treble past 1 o clock, and I found that over time I was having trouble keeping a good volume without pushing the amp into clipping and still retaining a strong bottom end.

What I mean is that I fell out of love with the "swr sound" and the swr products I had been using. When I was sure my problem lie solely in the amp I started auditioning other amps.

I currently use an aguilar system that I LOVE. I can get my sound while the controls are all set flat. I didn't sell the swr because I couldnt get my sound with the controls set flat, I'm not stupid or in need of that feature. However, when I finally played through aguilar stuff and found my sound so easily I KNEW i had found MY amp. Not to mention how much easier it is to get up to a comfortable volume with the aguilar stuff. The amp has not clipped once since I bought it.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by musicfiend:

...my swr setup (consisting of a bass 750 head and goliath 3 cab)

...and I found that over time I was having trouble keeping a good volume without pushing the amp into clipping and still retaining a strong bottom end.

:confused: SWR 750 head into a Goliath III and you had "trouble keeping a good volume without...clipping and still retaining a strong bottom end"?!

If your cab were an 8-ohm cab you would still be getting >400W from your amp. 400W into a good 4x10 (i.e., not your "run-of-the-mill" cab) should give you plenty of volume and enough headroom for some solid bottom in quite a range of venues.

How were you EQing?

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

It was an 8 ohm cab that I was using.

My eq was pretty normal, I boosted the bass to anywhere from 230 to 4 o clock, cut the treble to 9 o clock, kept the midrange flat. I would usually find a good volume with low gain and high master volume and then raise the gain and lower the master until the amp would only clip on my hardest attacks. This was for small venues. For the larger venues I always had to keep the master dimed to avoid a LOT of clipping, but even with the gain as low as I could go while still being heard it still clipped. There was a lot more to it than power though. For example, the amp would hiss horribly, because of the amp and the hiss I had to rerecord all of the tracks on a full length cd. I'll explain if someone asks me to, but it's a long story...so beware.

Also, the amp was not as reliable as I hoped it would be.

Do you mean preamp clipping, or the power amp was clipping. I used a 750x for close to a year in some larger venues without any of these problems. Thanks for giving us the details though, by the way if your'e happy with the aguilar amps, then I'm happy for you ;)

Originally posted by musicfiend:

My eq was pretty normal, I boosted the bass to anywhere from 230 to 4 o clock, cut the treble to 9 o clock, kept the midrange flat.

Bass at 4 o'clock is pretty drastic. No wonder you were clipping and not cutting through.

Seriously, a SWR 750 into a Goliath III should be able to kill small animals. That combination is obscenely loud. I have problems imagining a venue where that rig would not be enough; maybe Madison Square Garden?

I, too, am glad that the Aggie gear is getting you where you want to be.

I think getz76 has raised some good questions.

Also, how did you EQ your bass and what kind of bass were you using at the time (and maybe still using)?

Do you EQ the same way now with the Aggie rig w/out the clipping issue?

Pernax plays in a loud band, and uses similar gear. Hey 'nax, tell us about an SWR 750 into a single Goliath III 4x10. Your EQ? Your desired tone? Your volume? I know you have two of those cabs, but sometimes do you use one? And with what results?

And, back to topic, that's too bad about Beller leaving. I have a couple of pleasant e-mail exchanges with him about their products, and I found him quite helpful as well as humorous.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I've been using a Mo'bass with one goliath III exclussively for almost two years now and I have never been in a situation where I needed more volume. I can't speak for my time with the 750x thouhg, when I was using that amp I was playing through an 810.

Hey guys,

My main bass has always been my warwick thumb,which has bartolini electronics. Given this fact, you could imagine that I was also using the basses preamp before the swr.

I don't know why I had the bass knob turned up so high( I only turned the knob to 4 o clock a few times, usually it was closer 2:45). I just messed with the amp until I found the settings that sounded good to me and then tried to reproduce them on the stage. The funny thing is, with my aguilar I'm keeping the bass in passive mode with the pickups panned to center, and I'm keeping the amp set flat...and I'm getting a tone that's closer to what I was chasing all along.

About the volume issues, when I would play an outdoor gig it just was not present( it gets tiring when you're losing the volume wars all the time). It might be fair to mention that my aguilar is MUCH louder than the swr. This was a suprise to me, considering that the heads are rated at the same volumes, and I was running the swr through an 8 ohm 410 while running the aggie through an 8 ohm 210 when I performed this a/b test.

Now onto the reliability issues. The swr just killed some shows for me, about four times, the fuse and the fuse holder casing apparently fell out before the show. NO joke, I usually have a band practice the day of a show...so sometime between our practice and the show the fuse fell out! Kinda funny, since the amp was always sitting beside me on the way over. LAter on I just kept duct tape on the fuse casing and carried some extra fuses with me. Also, the amp just HATED all of it's power sources. Obviously, this was not caused my the amp, and I realize this...but it was enough to solidify me decision to go shopping. Some of the knobs had a tendency to slip off also, for example the fround lift knob would simply go off the amp whenever I touched it.

I just had some bad experiences with the amp. I'm sure some people love the amp, and I bet the x version would be an easier fit too(ha!). But, the fact is..I just got tired of dealing with amo wedgies.

Originally posted by dsanders:

SWR is working on that. That's why each size comes in an "X" version...

I LOVE IT! :D
I gave my combos JBL speaker upgrades years ago and THEY STILL ROCK! So I'll look out for clearance deals at my local dealers...

BTW, does anyone have a link to Bryan's site? Seems like if he follows in the footsteps of the giys who started Raven Labs it can only be a step upward in quality and I'd like to be on his mailing list. Would appreciate it.

:wave:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Pernax plays in a loud band, and uses similar gear. Hey 'nax, tell us about an SWR 750 into a single Goliath III 4x10. Your EQ? Your desired tone? Your volume? I know you have two of those cabs, but sometimes do you use one? And with what results?

Hi guys, sorry for jumping in so late.

I mostly use the 2 cabs together, but I've gone solo on a few gigs, on stages of variable sizes. I can only really comment on how things sounded on stage, as we have full PA support (and usually stage monitoring).

The two things I've come across with my setup is that the Goliath cabs seem to be quite directional, and EQ'ing can have a dramatic effect on how you hear yourself through a dense mix of Loud Stuff.

So to help hear yourself better, be sure that the cab is aimed properly at your ears, ie. raise it up or tilt it back a bit.

Re: EQ'ing - easing up the bottom can go a long way. The cabs produce the low end quite well, and sometimes that can be a bit of a bad thing, as when there's too much going on in the lower spectrum of stuff things can get muddy. I run my amp pretty flat, just a minor cut on the low knob, and a slight boost for low mids.

Volume-wise I've found the SWR 750x + 2x Goliath III setup to be enough for my needs, and I'm guessing my band would fare well in a Battle of Bands - Stage Volume Edition - contest. I generally have my volume set around the half point mark, and that's enough for me to hear through the sonic onslaught.

Hope this helps, if there's anything specific yo u guys want to know, or something I missed and you want to me to clear up (wrote this in a bit of a rush @ work :D ) just ask!

(up to 200 characters) You may use UBBCode in your signature.

Archived