Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP: Jim Capaldi (Traffic)

ClarkW

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very sad. 60 seems so young these days (and not so far from my own age0. Just goes to show you: "Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring." Traffic was the first band I really got interested in. I still lsten to that old stuff, a lot of it has aged well. And Capaldi was a Goomba as well.

RIP

Wow... 60 is still young... :cry:

And it made me realize I haven't listened to either the "John Barleycorn..." or the "Low Spark..." albums in years. Music like that is simply timeless. Gonna buy some CDs tomorrow and play them in memory.

Traffic is one of the bands that pulled me over to the rock side from R&B. Sad passing indeed.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I am sorry to hear that-- Traffic really gave me a new perspective about what rock music could be. Saw them in 1968 with Blue Cheer (one hit wonders) and the Yardbirds (some Jimmy Page character). They weren't loud and over the top, but damn they cooked. Everybody sat back and said Whoa, who are these guys?

Bruiser

Sad news indeed. Capaldi never made any of those lists of "greats" like Baker, Moon, Mitchell or Bonham. But he was part of a band that was integral to the transition of what defined '60's "acid rock" to what became the music of the '70's. A meticulous timekeeper, and from everything I've heard, a terrific human being.

Sleep well, brother.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Back in high school The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys never failed to put my girl friend in the mood out at the Folsom Lake Submarine Races. - way2fat
That was the very song that made me sit up and say "Whoa! This is good!" My life changed that day. I think I was 6 or 7.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Archived