Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

bad noise from the volume knob!

BigKahuna855

ok here's the deal:

my volume pot is making scratchy crackling noises whenever i turn it, both to raise and to lower the volume. it doesnt happen with the other pots (bass, mid, treble, and blend). any ideas on what my problem could possibly be and/or a solution to the problem?

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could it be that we haven't discussed this in a looong time?

Scratchy pots are just a little dirty.

Sometimes they can be cleaned just by rotating the knob as far as it will go in both directions a few times. Otherwise, a shot of contact cleaner might do the job (not contact cement!).

Replacing the pot is generally not necessary and would be the last resort.

BTW - you may reconsider the title of your post. Someone may drop by expecting bulk quantity discounts on smoking products.

- Matt W.

thank you

BTW - you may reconsider the title of your post. Someone may drop by expecting bulk quantity discounts on smoking products.
good idea

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

Beware if using contact cleaner. Some will destroy plastic and ruin your potentiometers (and other parts). I did it once, right before a recording session, and ruined the bass. Big Thanks to the borrowed MusicMan and Circuit!

MG Chemicals makes all kinds of excellent products for electronics. It must say "Safe For Plastics" on the can. Do not breathe fumes!

You can clean all your pots and your input jack (rapidly insert and remove your cable plug to "scrub" inside your jack - think happy thoughts...). Your bass will thank you.

You can do your amp too but only if you know what you are doing. There are serious voltages in there that can kill you, even if shut off and unplugged.

cheers

Archived