Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got GAS ... and it's getting worse !

EddiePlaysBass

Damn you Lowdowners. Wouldn't even have known the term if it weren't for you :D Then again, I probably wouldn't be thinking about doing what I wanna do.

See, for some reason (must be the exams - I'm halfway there and they've gone well so far - or something) I've got it in my thick skull that I'm gonna go out and buy me a cheap fretless. God knows why, I can hardly play as it is :D

So I've settled on a Stagg BC300 FL-N (scroll down a bit). Quite cheap, but I know the brand (a friend of mine has an acoustic guitar of theirs and it plays rather well) plus this bass player I once met at a metalfest told me that her Stagg was a good buy for the money.

So, guess I'll be looking at past threads about starting to play fretless :)

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Stagg's I've tried feel good, and I've had my hands on one of their fretless creations as well. Decent basses for very little cash.

On that note - if you're a stickler for fit and finish you may save a little more and look elsewhere. While neck pockets seem to be fine with the ones I've tried, I can't say the same for the pickup cutouts. I expect they've fixed that part of their machine in the last couple of years.

Good GAS to you!

- Matt W.

Originally posted by Matt W:

On that note - if you're a stickler for fit and finish you may save a little more and look elsewhere.

Yeah ... I know what I'll be getting :) This would just be a trial fretless, to see if I actually like to play fretless etc. I will then proceed to sell the Stagg, buy a decent fretless and regret having sold the Stagg - for nostalgic reasons :D

Good GAS to you!
Thanks ! Guess I never really knew the true meaning of the word (well, acronym :D ) until now ... Hmmm, since I still have quite some time to go before I actually buy the fretless, I may just do as you suggested anyway : save up and buy something better right away.

Damn this GAS thing !!

Go for it Eddie!!!. My fist fretless was a used Aria Pro from '85. Felt pretty good. But was a bit beat. I got it for the same reason you are, to do some training on. Good luck. Kick ARSE!@

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Hey - good for you! That Stagg looks quite nice too ;)

Just for interest's sake - check out this lined fretless bass as well: http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62qmdfretless.html

I recently bought one, and he shipped from the US to me here in Australia no problem.

It's an outstanding bass for the money, I'm having fun with it.

Cheers,

Luke.

This GAS thing is getting WORSE !!!! :freak:

I figured that a low priced beginners bass might actually not be that good an idea (given the dubious qualities of some of these instruments) so I got to thinking about a mid-priced one ...

And then I found this baby . This is the fretted version but it comes fretless as well.

Guess I'd better start saving up :D

Archived