Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Pi do you use?

Fuego

Hey guys, figured i would go to the pros for this so here i am. Am about to go out within the next week and buy some effects, figured a Big Muff Pi would be a nice addition, but am not sure what one to get the USA model or the Russian model. From what i hear the russian model is built cheaper but sounds better. What do u guys think?

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a vintage pi made in the ny sizzey. It sounds amazing to me. I ab'd it with the proco rat, zvex fuzz factory, and alot of other models. It took the pi :D .

You could find an older one for a reasonable price. I know BGP preders the sound of the russian made, I also saw a russian made pi in chris Wolstenholme's(muse)old pedalboards. I like the diversity of the pi though. That tone control can take you from a screeching hogh end disortion, to a big phat phuzzy tone, to a more mellow warm distortion.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

hummmm think ill go 4 the 22/7 :D but really ill go 4 the russian just due 2 price and if it breaks,,,,am good with a solder :)

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

EH's individual pedal quality is so hit-or-miss that you're just as likely to find a great Russian model as you are likely to find a great US model. I have several Russian pedals that I'll never part with, and I've had a few US duds. "Quality control" doesn't seem to be something that Electro Harmonix is too concerned with, but if you find an EH pedal that works (I'm sure it's not typically that difficult -- I'm just prone to bad luck) then you're likely to have an amazing pedal. I have about 10 EH pedals. They're all my favorite. Don't have a Pi, though.

As for Russian vs. US, I have a Russian Small Stone and a US Small Stone (both reissues) that sound exactly the same to me, but for some reason sound very different from my friend's US Small Stone reissue. And my other friend's vintage Small Stone has a different sound altogether. They all sound good, though.

Seriously, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. Just buy the one that looks the coolest.

All your bass are belong to us!

Archived