Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jaco Book

Mike Bear

I read the Jaco book about 6 months ago. Thought it was good. Not pristine in writing quality, but good stuff. I feel I learned a lot.

Last week, I finally bought the Jaco S/T album on CD. Because well...... I don't listen to cassettes anymore. The remaster is very freaking good. Sometimes remasters can suck.

So Pat Metheny writes the insert. In the closing he refers to a bad biography on Jaco. The book is the only one I can think of. Any people know why he would think this? I don't believe everything I read. I do know one thing. Pat wasn't painted in the best light as to his desire to work with Jaco in the long run. I understand his plight. But, I wonder if it's bitterness. Or if it really was B.S.

Anybody here know what I'm talking about?

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There has been some criticism on the Jaco bio. I don't know why really; some people say that the author (his name eludes me) rewrote part of Jaco's history...

Personally, I think it came across as fairly objective. The guy was obviously an acquaintance, and maybe even a dear friend to Jaco.

It will be interesting to see where this thread leads :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I read and enjoyed the book this year, too.

There has been a lot of criticism of that bio, however. Many feel it was sensationalized, and focused too much on the dark side of Jaco's life and his problems with mental illness, and not enough on the music and his beautiful creative spirit.

There is an expanded edition of the book due out this year.

Here's the link to the discussion thread that followed my review of the book, back in October...

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=009916#000000

The ISBN is (087930426X), for anyone who may be interested. The author's name is 'Bill Milkowski', and the title is simply 'JACO'.

Edendude,

Thanks for the link to the other thread. Everyone who posts here should read that thread. I notice one thing about the author. He was more invovled in the story towards the end of Jaco's life. He's poised as a charactor in the book more frequently. Maybe that's what he knows first hand best.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Originally posted by Edendude:

There has been a lot of criticism of that bio, however. Many feel it was sensationalized, and focused too much on the dark side of Jaco's life and his problems with mental illness, and not enough on the music and his beautiful creative spirit.

I thought that the book was dreadful for this very reason. It's like being asked to speak at someone's funeral and then trashing them for everything that they did wrong and never mentioning all of the things that they did wonderfully.

On the rare occasion where the book talks about Jaco's bass playing, the author makes it sound like Jaco didn't have a unique idea in his life, that he stole all of his techniques from other bass players. Maybe he was influenced by others, but the fusion of techniques and the vision that he showed in their application were his own, not to mention BRILLIANT and LEGENDARY.

There is an expanded edition of the book due out this year.

Maybe the author will redeem himself. I don't know how the guy sleeps at night.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Yeah...

I can see how opinions can go both ways on this book, but that certainly would not deter me from recommending it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

One of the best parts of the book, in my opinion, is the quotes section. With quotes and anecdotes from many of the musicians who worked with Jaco over the years. And the list is a long and auspicious one, to say the least. Joni Mitchell, Mike Stern, Peter Erskine, Don Alias, and dozens of others.

Archived