Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best head for my cab?? Help!

lowslow

Just sold my Ampeg B2R, not enough power. I thought replacing it would be a simple matter, like buy an SVT3-Pro, then I started doing research and now am completely confused. I like my Ampeg SVT410-HLF cab, so I'm looking to match that up with the perfect head. I like the tube hybrid models and have been impressed with Yorkville XS800H, but now my head's swirling with Hartke, GK, used Edens, and various pre/power amp combinations, along with the Ampeg question. Can anyone clear this up for me? I want to keep it under $700.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think most people will tell you to try things yourself and pick what you like best. Personally, I would go for the SVT3, or maybe a GK 1001RB with that cab... I've never heard that Yorkville head but they make some pretty solid equipment too. I can only tell you to follow your ear and your wallet, you can't really go wrong that way. All of the options you mentioned would probably be great, an Eden head with an Ampeg cab seems weird to me though, but I have never heard that combination as far as I know. I would stay away from Hartke myself, but YMMV.

Back of my cab says 500W RMS. Did I mention Mesa Boogie? Yep, considering that, too. I know, you're right, I should listen to all of them thru my cab and choose the one that appeals most to my ear, but that is not an option... so I'm appealing to you. Maybe one of you has been thru this same dilemma and has an answer. I'm old school, blues, motown... I love that deep, backbone bass sound, not interested in bright, articulate 16th note solos, hey, I'm only modestly talented in the first place, so I concentrate on what I can do... a simple groove. So, all caveats aside, feel free to give me your unvarnished, no-holds-barred opinion, I can take it, and if it doesn't work out I won't come looking for you, promise. Thanks.

It seems like you liked your B2R for the sound. Why confuse yourself any longer. Get the SVT3 Pro. You know you will be happy for the sound and now the power in which you originally sold thr B2R for.Don't stress,have fun!!

I have a B2R. I like it too. For more power I added another 8ohm cab for 350W.I use the ampeg 410HE's.

Awhile back I bought new Ampeg 4x10HLF cab and ran my GK1001rb-I thru it. Playing in a 70's/80's classic rock band which used our PA for vocals, kickdrum only. Even then I did not think I was playing at that loud of volumes but on two occasions I blew 2 different 10's out of this cab. Maybe I was underpowering it? Nah, with drums, keys, 1 or 2 g**tar players, we were probably just too loud I reckon. Anyway now I now use 2 8ohm SWR pro cabs with the GK or Ashdown Evo 500 and all is great. Sure liked the sound I would get from the Ampeg cab though.

Archived