Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ampeg pre-amp question

way2fat

The owners manual for my SVPCL says that the tube gain should be adjusted until the peak light flashes occasionally during loud passages. I can't make it flash at all, even with the Gain wide open. My passive Jazz Bass is running Lindy Fralins and 500K pots, which I run wide open also. Yes, I'm using the hotter input. Can someone give me a clue? Also if I do run the gain wide open and the master correspondingly less wide open, am I sending a weaker signal to the power amp than running less gain and more master?

www.ethertonswitch.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turn the "gain" nob on the left until the peak light flashes then adjust your master accordingly. The "tube gain" will give you the tube warmth sound. :cool:
"I play the notes...but it is God who makes the music". J.S. Bach

I don't know the SVPCL specifically, but I noticed with my SWR 350 the limiter never lights up at home, but at practice it never went off! Could it be the dynamics of your playing?

How does it sound?

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I have the SVPCL and an American Standard Jazz w/ Custom Shop 60's pups and set the gain at around 7.5/10. The peak LED lights up on the hard notes. All setting the gain does is maximize your signal to noise ratio. Do you use effects? If you haven't already maybe try plugging straight into the pre.
my band: Mission 5

I mean the one for passive bases, the other one has has 15 db cut. Your right though, must just be low output from passive PUPs. Nothing wrong with the sound, just curious. Maybe they expect the unit to be used with an active bass.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Archived