Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

6 strings & tone

ManInTheBox

I'm not really a bass player. I have an old Electra Jazz copy, that I mess around with.

I'm getting more into, and really want to start working on my tone, and technique.

Tone wise, I'm really digging Rhonda w/Prince. I know she uses a 4 string Jazz, I'm not sure about amplification.

I'm really getting into the playing of JoJo Garza w/Los Lonely Boys. His tone is alright.

I really like the feel of the Jazz bass, and compare everything to it. But I don't know if I can play JoJo's lines on a 4 string. If I were to cover a LLB song with the 4, I'm sure I'd have to play some kinda facsimile.

I'm thinking about getting a new bass in the near future(shhh, haven't told the wife yet). I'm thinking about a 5 string, of course, the five string Jazz doesn't compare well with the 4 string in feel. I haven't played a 6 string yet that I like, but I wonder about loosing definition and tone.

Right now, I play by myself, and with myself(not like that). I've got a 100watt SolidState amp.But usually I'm playing direct into an AW4416. I want to be able to get Rhonda's live tone going direct, even Prince's recorded tone. I know about the BassPOD, Vamp, and SansAmp, would these be necessary to get the tone I'm looking for? Would a six string prevent me from getting the tone I want? Is it possible to substitute a 4 string for a 6, would a 5 string be a decent compromise?? Would I be better off getting a new rig(amp + 2x10)?

should I re-mortgage the house?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's an awful lot you're asking there, man!

Why don't you just try out some stuff, and get whatever works for you in your current budget, instead of just merely copying some other player?

For instance, I own a P-bass with a J bridge pickup. Sure, I don't sound like Geddy Lee, but I can come pretty close. I also coveted a Yamaha John Myung sig bass (version 1) at one point. Never got to play one, but got a nice substitute in a 5 string RBX 765A. One other person around here likes his a lot, too.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Wow, that's an awful lot you're asking there, man!

Why don't you just try out some stuff, and get whatever works for you in your current budget, instead of just merely copying some other player?

I pluck out root notes and blues type walking bass lines. I am not at the level yet of copping JoJo's 6 string licks on a 4 string just yet. I am asking more experienced players if they can cover the parts convincingly on a 4 string.

To Paraphrase, Do I need to get a 6 string?

I'm coming from the guitar world, where tube amps are the norm. Solid State appears to be the norm for bass players. should I invest in a small rig to try to get the tones I want, or should I be able to get the tones I want going direct, with a decent bass?? Would active pickups work better going direct??

I thought it would be easier to give you examples of what I am going for. I don't want to merely copy someone else, other wise I'd start working on buying their gear.

Originally posted by C J:

Tone wise, I'm really digging Rhonda w/Prince. I know she uses a 4 string Jazz, I'm not sure about amplification. I really like the feel of the Jazz bass, and compare everything to it.

Sounds like that's the tone you're into. It's a great bass which has remained the blueprint for many players and builders for over 40 years. Versatile, characterful and workable.

I'm really getting into the playing of JoJo Garza w/Los Lonely Boys. His tone is alright. But I don't know if I can play JoJo's lines on a 4 string. If I were to cover a LLB song with the 4, I'm sure I'd have to play some kinda facsimile.

I don't know his playing but I've seen he plays a 6. Does he ever go really high or play wide chord voicings? If not, you can almost definitely play his lines on a 5. And unless he really rides the B-string, you'd probably be able to cop his lines effectively on a 4. Though I seem to be becoming part of a diminishing majority that doesn't want to go lower. YMMV.

But usually I'm playing direct into an AW4416. I want to be able to get Rhonda's live tone going direct, even Prince's recorded tone. I know about the BassPOD, Vamp, and SansAmp, would these be necessary to get the tone I'm looking for?

No. You can get Prince's recorded tone by simply plugging a J-bass into the board with all the knobs dimed.

Would a six string prevent me from getting the tone I want?

No. But getting a fat tone out of the C-string and a clear tone out of the B-string is more challenging than getting an even fat and clear tone across just four strings. So to get an equivalently good Six, you need to either spend more, search more thoroughly or get lucky.

Is it possible to substitute a 4 string for a 6, would a 5 string be a decent compromise?? Would I be better off getting a new rig(amp + 2x10)?

At the end of the day they'll all fill the same role, it's a personal preference as to which is right for you.

I'm not really a bass player.

Don't say that here! Say, "I'm a guitarist and beginning bassist!" ;)

Alex

Finding a 6 string of good quality for a decent price is a bit challenging (or so I've heard). Most songs you can play with a 4 string, unless you're into alt rock and the like, a 4 string should be capable. To me, I'd look at getting a 5 string, as it's hard to go a low B, and not nearly as hard to go to a high C.

About the good amp or emulator question. If you're planning on eventually playing out as a bassist, they amp is the better by all means. However, as Alex was pointing to, a decent preamp and a decent bass is all you need to get a rocking tone on bass. You could get a bass preamp costing under $300 dollars and most likely get a convincing tone.

My cents.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Archived