Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amps, Cabs, & Ohms

Basster

My amp (SVT 3Pro) has two 1/4" speaker outputs and 1 speakon output. I sometimes use 2 cabinets, both are 4 ohms. Do I connect each cabinet to each 1/4" jack on the amp, or should I piggyback them through the "extention system" output on the cabinet? How many ohms would I be running? Only one of my cabinets has a speakon input. Series-parallel-ohms always confuses me. :confused:
"I play the notes...but it is God who makes the music". J.S. Bach

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the minimum impedance of your amp? Without knowing the SVT3 personally, and just going by my experience with equipment I've owned, all my cabinets have been wired parallel. So if I add a 4 ohm cabinet to another 4 ohm cabinet, my load is 2 ohms. Both my current amps can handle a 2 ohm load.

One of my amps is a power amp. It has stereo outputs. So each side of the amp can power a 2 ohm load.

Bottom line, don't create a load below your amps minimum impedance.

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

OK I'll answer this one, fellas...

My current rig is an SVT-3pro through a SVT4x10 HLF cab.

Your SVT3 has the ratings on the back by the jacks. Take a look. Minimum impedance 4 ohms. Ths means you can only use ONE of your 4 ohm cabinets.

Plug them both in or daisy chain them and you will have an extra stage smoke effect for your next gig.

If your 2 cabs were 8 ohms apiece then it would be alright. Perform a "search function" on impedance and ohms. You will find a lot of useful information.

My recommendation to you, if you keep your amp, is to sell your 2 cabs and get one 4 ohm 8x10 for that wall of sound you're looking for. Or a 4x10 HLF like mine, it has just as much oomph as an 8x10.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

As JWH said, your minimum load is 4 ohms and the amp is set up for the cabs to be run parallel. Running parallel, you can use only one 4-ohm cab or two 8-ohm cabs (which yield a 4-ohm load when used together in parallel).

Originally posted by John William Hofmann:

My recommendation to you, if you keep your amp, is to sell your 2 cabs and get one 4 ohm 8x10 for that wall of sound you're looking for. Or a 4x10 HLF like mine, it has just as much oomph as an 8x10.

Um, I'd hesitate before following this recommendation. Depends on your circumstances. Are your two cabs 4x10s? 2x10s? 1x15s? A combination of different configurations?

You might prefer two 8-ohm cabs, and then use only one for smaller gigs and both for larger gigs.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I use a 2X10 mostly for the places I play, but some larger places I'd add a 1X15 which I'd biamp. My old amp was a Carvin R600. It started to give me problems so I got the Ampeg. Can you connect a 4 ohm to an 8 ohm?
"I play the notes...but it is God who makes the music". J.S. Bach

Archived