Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The gift of music

_Sweet Willie_

I often give CDs as holiday presents.

This year I've given three so far.

[*]Medeski Martin & Wood Uninvisible

[*]Soundtrack for The Buena Vista Social Club

[*]Bela Fleck/Edgar Meyer Music for Two

I will probably give a couple more as the holidays progress.

Have you been giving the gift of music? If so, what?

(On a related note, my wife and I are giving her younger brother the Mixerman book. I need to get it for my own damn self!)

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always liked giving music to friends and family. Here are some of the things I might be buying for them:

Grateful Dead, "The Closing of Winterland" Box Set

Duran Duran, "Astronaut"

Michael Buble, "Fever"

One of my nephews gets a baby piano. Gotta wait a while to get him a bass. He's only 1 after all. :D

And my favorite drummer gets a new cowbell.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Don't we often give music as a way of imposing our values on people we love?

I know I do...and I guess it falls in the category of self-validation...if our friends like it.

I've given each of my band directors the Grammy winning 2 disc set: Allison Krauss and Union Station 'Live'. Each of them are making 16 hour road trips...exactly opposite each other (Chicago and Brownsville Tx.) I figure that they will spend some time force feeding themselves this beautiful music.

I'll also be giving the "Stan Freburg Presents: The United States of America" (a comedy album) for the musical content. Billy May was one of the most gifted arrangers ever, and my friend is a professional, published composer who will learn from this album.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I got my wife the "Love, Actually" soundtrack and the incredible "Lost in Translation" soundtrack. That's all she asked for for Christmas this year. Of course, she bought herself an 8' pool table last week...

"For instance" is not proof.

Dear Dave, Isn't there just a bassic creative human need to share the sheer beauty of "The Arts", and to pass that down to another generation, or group of society that wouldn't have access to it without some help? Please say "there is a God". There has to be a balance to the universe just ask Chuck! He knows all...he's a "master". As yourself...we need the great one's to lead us on! I'm I awake, or talking in my sleep again?

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

I know I do...

Yes!!! :D

For example, last year I gave about 3 different people Richard Bona CDs. I also gave a CD of Hebrew love songs as a well-received Hanukah gift. On that recording none other than our own Jeremy Cohen was manning the low-end duties.

If it's wrong to be spreadin' some Bona and Cohizzle, I don't wanna be right!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Yes Vince, there is a God. More real that Santa, I'm convinced.

We make the choice: do we give a gift that someone else wants (I do that often with CD's, the most recent being an Eric Clapton boxed set) or what we want them to hear.

In my life, I have found grace, peace and joy in certain music. I have often, on this forum, made the point that music is more than just the spirit of God; it is His muscle, sinew and bone as well. Music is imbued with His power; a power that can often be abused by making music that teaches evil.

I share music that makes me a better person, in the hope that it will help someone else.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I share music that makes me a better person, in the hope that it will help someone else.

I hadn't really thought about it in a conscious way before, but I think I try to do the same thing. I don't know if I'd frame it as music that "makes me a better person", but I certainly try to give music that has given me some uplift or increased my joie de vivre.

Peace.

--sweets

spreadluv

I usually give people the music they like, or want. No point in force-feeding it to them. If they are open to it, it will come in due time.

That said, my almost-brother-in-law did give me an An Pierlé cd. I'm not a fan of hers, but it's a cd he frequently gives away :) I quite liked it.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Not necessarily. Some of the people in my family have good musical tastes with a few exceptions. I try to get them things that they would like. For the classical fans, I've been known to give them Glenn Gould solo piano discs. For the jazz fans, some Billie Holliday. Hell, my brother-in-law is a big Bela Fleck fan, so I've gotten him some of that stuff from time to time. I just try not to buy stuff that's utter garbage.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Nicklab:

Not necessarily. Some of the people in my family have good musical tastes with a few exceptions. I try to get them things that they would like. For the classical fans, I've been known to give them Glenn Gould solo piano discs. For the jazz fans, some Billie Holliday. Hell, my brother-in-law is a big Bela Fleck fan, so I've gotten him some of that stuff from time to time. I just try not to buy stuff that's utter garbage.
What Nick said.

I bought my boss Brian Wilson "Smile". Not really my bag, but something I thought a Beach Boys fan with a daughter studying Opera at BU would like.

For my wife, who really wanted some Tony Bennett X-Mass music, I bought a compilation called "Jazz to the World", jazz versions of holiday standards to benefit Special Olympics.

It is true that the store was out of T.B., but it also worked out better for me, and she still loves it and thinks I'm so thoughtful. ;)

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

I only bought CD's for my band this year. It's impossible to find CD's for my guitarist Ed because you can not read him when it comes to bands he'll take to. Luckly there was a reissue of Cynic "Focus" with some remixes, demos and such. It was perfect because I already know he loves that album.

I got for my drummer Carcass "Heartwork". He's a few years younger than us and Carcass is long gone. So he really has not be exposed to them. It's just one of those groundbreaking albums in it's genre. It made it ok for very heavy music melodic. He ended up loving it. Also picked him up a few other things. I'm really happy that I got him something he liked because he's just been amazing to me over the past few years. That's a hard thing to say about a drummer.

I'm sure I've purchased CD's in the past for folks where they are still in the shrinkwrap or only played once or less.

Oh yeah, and that Buena Vista Social Club S/T is a great album.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

The only person I bought cds for this year was my brother. I tend not to push the boat out for adults who have kids, I'd rather give them a modest present and spent more on the kids. He likes hip-hop and country and I bought him "Liquid Swords" by Genius/GZA and "Horse Of A Different Colour" by Big & Rich. He bought me the new edition of the Penguin Guide to Jazz on cd.

I gave my guitarist the Rock n Roll Circus CD - Rolling Stones

I gave my drummers mom the new Genius Loves Company Ray Charles and The new Diana Krall.

I gave my drummer a Bitches Brew Tshirt

This year was better than most as far as music gifts go. I tend to buy CD's for the recipient, which can be hard to bring myself to buy some of these things. My dad loves cheesy hard rock. So I buy him stuff like Creed and Nickleback. My mom likes the Celine Dion type stuff. Those CD's aren't allowed in my house, but I bite my tongue give what people they want.

:D

As far musical gifts to me, I got a very nice case for my banjo, a capo, and the new G Love - The Hustle.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Archived