Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another selector pedal - ART ABY Coolswitch

Gruuve

Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ART-COOL--d-4.html

I want to select two inputs (one of my two basses) and send the selected input to two outputs, one to my bass preamp and the other to my tuner. This guy has the A/B switching (plus the Y that I don't need at this point), and the description says that it has common parallel output. I'd assume that means there two outputt jacks, so I could send one to the tuner and one to the preamp, but I can't find a picture of the back to see if that's the case. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Final question: is it transparent, or is this guy a tone-sucker?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at the Boss LS-2 Line Selector as well. It certainly appears to have plenty of inputs and outputs, but I can't tell if it'll let me select one of two inputs and send it to two outputs either! Does anyone have one of these and know the answer?

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BOS-LS2--d-2.html

TIA!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by greenboy:

Whay does it require so many threads in a short period of time?

For the same reason it requires so many non-informative replies that make the thread larger than it needs to be perhaps? :P

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by 5Stringbadger:

Dave,

I doesn't completely answer your question but read the 5 reviews in this link:

http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--ARTCOOL

A friend had one made at Loooper.com that is true bypass. All metal and very well made. (I have no affiliation with Loooper). HTH

Looks like this ART selector leaves some to be desired, eh?

Thank you for the link to www.loooper.com. That's exactly what I'd hope I would find...I've already emailed the guy to ask which config he'd recommend. This looks like the deal!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Well, Dave,

Being one of the few people who seems to actually answer general gear technical questions here, it's a real pain in the ass to see them scattered all over the fricking place, and for searches later on it just makes the already inadequate search engine choke harder. Not to mention how it pushes other threads off the front page.

After awhile it seems indulgent so I decided not to do any checking. Besides, what fricking good is an AMS or Musician's Friend link for information? You already know the PRICE and nodody who could truly make sense out of the info can find any there. Link to the manufacturer's section for the particular piece of gear fer schitzake!

The Applied Research and Technology site has the exact verbiage and photos the warehouse sites show. Not much info there, which is why I linked a warehouse site on which a few people had provided reviews of the item. I will now crawl back under my rock and stay there.
Those of The Way

Anyway, one could even build this item with practically any switch. Hell a household light switch would work - though obviosuly the lower the resistance the better. Think about it: passive basses and guitars often use minitoggles and knife switches as pickup selectors, coil taps, etc. If you don't need it on the floor for instantaneous I'm-holding-2-basses-at-the-same-time showboating, those types of switches would be fine.

Alternately, any sturdy project box or old amp footswitch with a momentary-push contact switch in it can do the job.

I have built all kinds of footswitches and thingees. It's easy.

ConnieZ has one I built for her.

But on Alex Claber's recommendation, I recently bought a Loooper pedal.

Dave built me a beautiful little pedal with nice switches and leds and colors for not much more than it would have cost me to build it myself and he built it and shipped it too me in less time than it would have taken me to buy the parts and assemble it myself.

I highly recommend the Loooper.

Well, Dave,

Being one of the few people who seems to actually answer general gear technical questions here, it's a real pain in the ass to see them scattered all over the fricking place, and for searches later on it just makes the already inadequate search engine choke harder. Not to mention how it pushes other threads off the front page.

After awhile it seems indulgent so I decided not to do any checking. Besides, what fricking good is an AMS or Musician's Friend link for information? You already know the PRICE and nodody who could truly make sense out of the info can find any there. Link to the manufacturer's section for the particular piece of gear fer schitzake!

OK, granted on that one. (I wasn't slighting your contributions to answering technical questions...you do that religiously, and it's appreciated by all, including me.) To be honest, I really don't see any difference in terms of what the search engine returns based on whether it's in one thread or multiple threads? You get a line in the search engine for each match, whether it's in the same or seperate thread, right?

I guess this comes down to personal opinions at some level. I'd rather see seperate threads on similar items rather than one big thread that covers all of them, but that's merely my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions... ;)

L8r,

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I have built all kinds of footswitches and thingees. It's easy.

ConnieZ has one I built for her.

But on Alex Claber's recommendation, I recently bought a Loooper pedal.

Dave built me a beautiful little pedal with nice switches and leds and colors for not much more than it would have cost me to build it myself and he built it and shipped it too me in less time than it would have taken me to buy the parts and assemble it myself.

I highly recommend the Loooper.

But did you get it in blue??? :thu:

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

You get a line in the search engine for each match, whether it's in the same or seperate thread, right?
Have you actually used this search engine? Much? I've tried to find detaqiled posts that would answer someone's newly asked question when I knew three or four unique keywords I had written way back when, and the stupid thing acted like Red Dwarf's Holly after an I/O cocktail party. The thing is a travesty of infoflow!

I guess this comes down to personal opinions at some level.
Sure.

I'd rather see seperate threads on similar items rather than one big thread that covers all of them,
I find it useful to ask oneself what the real question is. Is it about a specific piece of gear, or is it about solving and/or understanding a problem - or even a broad range of related problems. Though topic drift can be a beeotch it is also a lot more useful than little pinpoints here and there with no real infodesnity behind them.

Even as a social club ; }

Have you actually used this search engine? Much?

Yes, I use it quite a bit. I agree, it's quite clunky, but it IS better than no search engine at all!

I find it useful to ask oneself what the real question is. Is it about a specific piece of gear, or is it about solving and/or understanding a problem - or even a broad range of related problems. Though topic drift can be a beeotch it is also a lot more useful than little pinpoints here and there with no real infodesnity behind them.

Even as a social club ; }[/QB]

Well, I'm not sure you can always decompose a problem or question down to it's atomic pieces. "My slap licks loose all their low end". Is that a gear problem, technique problem, or even an expectation problem? Could be any of the above, or a combination of them, right? I have to say, I really dislike those really long threads that drift from one topic to another (and yes, I know I'm just as guilty of creating them as anyone else!) I much prefer the shorter threads that address a specific topic and actually answer it (short being maybe 10 or so posts that generally don't go over 1 page or so). Again, just my opinion.

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Sweet...I just ordered one of these selectors from www.loooper.com. David seems to be really customer-serice oriented guy, and looks like he can build some fairly sophisticated custom stuff too. I'm getting a passive (ie. mechanical) footpedal with input A or input B selected by the AB switch, and preamp output or tuner output selected by the Tuner Mute switch, plus LED's to indicate what's selected (the LED's are on a seperate circuit wired to different isolated poles of the same switches). The LED's are battery-powered, but the switch still works even if the battery is dead. Very cool...this is exactly what I was looking for.

He doesn't have this specific configuration on his web-site, but after two emails I'm certain he understands exactly what I want. I could probably build it for less ($68), but I'd rather spend my time working on my playing skills than building a switch.

Thanks for posting that link!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Dave, I don't see enough difference in the comments here to warrant a separate thread. GB is correct in that multiple threads on a common question makes it harder to track, and tougher to get good info from the search later on.

The same is true for the guy from Brazil. He is new, and has been somewhat differentiating the threads by changing his question, but I'd rather it was all one thread.

Consider this a request/recommendation for down the road.

Thanks

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived