Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solo Bass...feedback

LLroomtempJ

please?

here you have it

My plans for this weekend got changed by the very person that i was going home to help since it doesn't make sense to go home for this weekend...come back for 2 days and then go right back home for thanksgiving...so i am now bound to my promise to play bass at this event on campus...alone.

The file is something that i recorded last month on my mp3 player. It's pretty raw, and i feel quite vulnerable putting it out there, but this is one of the few things that i've recorded myself doing that has stand alone qualities...and i'm sure that you guys will give honest feedback

It has it's ups and downs, but if you listen to the whole thing you'll see what i was doing.

I was thinking that i could throw in something dealing with this similar minor thing that i recorded to kinda bring the bass experience full circle. (not all melodic, but also a little bit funky/latin-y)

"full circle" addition

thanks for the time that you guys are putting into this.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if the links are giving you trouble, you can just go to:

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public

and look for the two mp3 files. They'll stand out b/c they will have music note icons next to them.

If you search around long enough, you can also find a picture of my neice who is the cutest baby on the face of the earth.

jason

edit: Just in case you are hesitant to leave feedback b/c it is negative feedback...just know that i can take it. Anything negative is something that i need to hear anyway.

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I'm not much of a soloist - either playing or listening. I only listened once. It seemed interesting enough to play for people. Some themes, minimum noodling. My only thought was that I couldn't get the timing in the beginning of the first one - either you were thinking in some other timeframe or you were dragging it. Once the melody started changing, things fell into place (or fell into time) better.

Best of luck this weekend!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

update?

there wasn't much feedback, so i guess this is for mr capssso and non-responder x:

i re-engineered my solo, changing things up a lot, but still keeping some fundamentals of the two posted recordings. I liked what i had going into things.

People actually went out of their way to congratulate me on my playing after the show but i made mistakes on almost every phrase that i did. I made mistakes that i didn't even make while practicing.

I got up behind the mic, quite nervous, tried to ease my nerves by talking...it didn't work. But i at least made it to my conclusion, which was a variation of my initial minor7 chord. (i didn't have anything with a minor 7th posted, but i was fooling around while trying to figure out my final plan and came up with that)

This is my first time doing something like this, and i must say that it differs greatly from playing in church. In church, people notice you, but they aren't watching you. A first, but hopefully not a last. If you guys want to hear the final product, i'm going to try to record it now and post it.

jason

Soli Deo Gloria

My YouTube Channel

here's what i just recorded on my mp3 player. It's almost exactly what i played tonight...without the mistakes that i made while performing, but WITH the some of the mistakes that i made while practicing. mostly time, continuity and misfingerings.

jason

here you go

if it doesn't work, you can just go to the link posted above (http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public) and manually pick out voice46.mp3

jason

Soli Deo Gloria

My YouTube Channel

Jason, I finally had time to listen to the first stuff you posted.

I like it. There was a point where you started modulating into another key: that's where I really started getting interested. I wish you had followed that angle a little more.

Your tone is beautiful.

p.s. If I want solo bass feedback, I just leave my bass leaning against my amp and walk away. :D

Well I was only able to listen to the first post, because your site seems to be down?

Anyway, I'll start off by saying that I wish I could play like that ... Like your website, I am now down :D

Some of it was a tad repetitive and lacking feeling & emotion (maybe you can go to that actor of all emotionsguy's thread :D ) but overall I think it was quite a strong composition !

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived