Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MarkBass?!

Edendude

My local Eden dealer is now carrying the MarkBass line of Italian-made amps and cabs, along with the Eden, GK, and Genz Benz lines.

Anyone had any experience with this line of gear? Just curious.

http://www.markbass.it/img_upload/TRV106_.jpg

And they even make a 33 pound, 400 watt 1x15 cab, which was what piqued my interest...

http://www.markbass.it/img_upload/MiniTraveler151_.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good ideas, poorly executed IMO.

I tried out a 2x10" combo of theirs. Very coloured speakers (notwithstanding the yellow baffles!) with loose and shallow lows, raw midrange and nasty highs. Made my tight funky fingerstyle on a J-bass sound like I was flailing pickstyle on a P-bass (ok, that's an exaggeration but you get my point).

The subsequent reviews from BP (which are always rose-tinted) said much the same. I'm all for ultra-light cabs but get the sound right before racing everyone to beat the bandwagon!

Another bone I have to pick is why on earth did none of the tone-controls have centre detents or failing that, a bypass switch? And why are they using piezo tweeters in some of their cabs?

However, they're probably still a good deal in Europe if you can find one that sounds right to you. But on your side of the pond there are so many better cabs for the money.

As ever, YMMV...

Alex

I play them in a couple of clubs, just because they relieve me from carrying my Peavey DataBass.

I quite like their highs and mids, while I find them lacking in lows.

One more point in favour, they are italian, so quite easy to achieve and get quick assistance here.

I think they are pretty versatile and can cover many styles, but if it's blues or rock that you play, like me, go somewhere else.

:wave:

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

Well since "tight funky fingerstyle on a J-bass" is what I'm all about these days, I'll audition one with great trepidation, Alex.

Yikes!

The guy who I recently bought my used Eden D210MBX wedge from, is using one of these now. But he is also the store manager, so I'm sure there's none of his own cash at risk...

http://www.markbass.it/img_upload/TravelerCombo102_.jpg

You can pretty much look at that compact 115 and tell that no matter what woofer is used in it it is going to lack low end and be very peaky. It's actually a size better suited for Bag End INFRA-M uses - if it was infinite baffle.

I know people want to lie to themselves about physics and free lunch still, I see evidence of that every day on this and other forums ; }

Denial accounts for sales, and even drives praise of gear and artists whop do not desrves so much, once purchases have been made. The seemingly infinite ability for humans to lie to themselves on smaller and larger matters is indeed what holds them back from further development.

I love the smell of 'cognitive dissonance' in the morning.

I remember learning about 'CD' in a marketing course at university. It's that horrible feeling people get after they have purchased a product, only to discover a better product is available for the same or less money, or that the product is clearly not living up to claims made by the manufacturer.

Companies try hard to reduce cognitive dissonance to maintain brand loyality. It's a key part of what it takes to stay in business.

When you think about it, that's really what artist gear endorsements are all about...

It's like the children's story of 'The Emperors New Clothes' in many cases.

I know this will really help. I recall a review of some Mark Bass stuff in ONE of the magazines over the past few months. I recall it be really expensive. I mean REALLY expensive. Or I really disliked the yellow, and thought it wasn't worth the $ on that reason alone.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I tried out this stuff at Club Bass in Toronto. Their 1x12 combo didn't wow me in the least, but their 2x10 lightweight combo had some punch to it. I liked it, and it weighed only 28 lbs! Not bad for the subway.

I also tried their lowest model head through an AE 112 cab. Really ballsy, warm. I digged it alot. Not has hi-fi as my new WT-330! (I'll post a review someday) but warm.

Archived