Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String Coatings

tatudbassman

Are these liquid polymer string coatings worth anything, or help at all? I've used those EXPENSIVE (forgot brand?) coated strings .045-.105, and they didn't sound any better. They felt sorta nice, like flatwounds and slick, but the sustain/tone just wasn't there for me. FYI: '97 Fender American Jazz and Precisions, custom shop 60's p/u's, and full Ampeg!

Thanks,

I was bored one night and bought a bottle online.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you talking about a coating that you apply yourself? I've never seen it before.

I have played coated strings, and they really didn't do anything for me, but I don't have very acidic sweat. If you do, they might be worthwile (or a self-applied polymer).

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

Cool pic Tokai! The coating stuff I bought off a web-site is called "Stringlife", It had to be off of DR Strings, Bassplayer, Ampeg, Music Man, or one of those type sites that all of us compulsive musicians visit. Yea, it's a bottle of liquid polymer coating you apply to your strings, then wipe with a clean cloth. So far it feels like teflon or something. And it's for those with funky sweaty hands or something. I sweat alot onstage and practice, but mine isn't acidic, like I hear some have. It does make the roundwounds, feel like groundwounds (which are a good compramise between rounds and flats).I like both, in they're areas...some are never pleased uh...But, it might be good to keep dust and dirt out from the winding? But, I take good care (baby) my equipment anyway. I also don't buy cheap strings. I've tried all, and the cheap one's just don't seem to last. I've also bought $50 strings, and they didn't sound any better than the $30-40 sets. Check out they're web-site if you're courious like me and let me know if you think it's just crap or not. I probably just wasted the $12 bucks, but what the h*ll? They were very fast though...it was like 2 days?

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

You probably tried Elixer polyweb coated strings. They keep a consistent tone over a good long time, but aren't very bright-sounding (ever). I actually like using the polyweb strings on my fretless basses, because I prefer that 'slightly used' tone on them.

The newer Elixer strings, their nanoweb coating, are much brighter than the polywebs. They also last a very long time relative to uncoated strings.

The other coated string that I really dig are the DR Bootzillas. Even brighter than the Elixer nanoweb strings and lasted just as long.

My personal experiences with string life:

DR Lowriders or HiBeams, Dean Markley SR2000 "Will Lee" strings ~ 3-4 weeks, depending on how much I play that bass. Sometimes they need changing in as little as 2. These were the 3 types of uncoated strings I was going back and forth between for years. The "Will Lee" strings are taper-core, the DR's are not.

Elixer nanoweb/polyweb and DR Bootzillas ~ 3-4 months, again depending on how much I play that bass

Rotosounds ~ 10-12 hours before I think they sound like butt. I killed two sets of them in 2 weeks, just playing gigs. I've never used them since.

What I'm dyin' to try is a coated string like the Bootzilla's that have a taper-core E and B. That may just be a little slice of heaven.

My experiences are virtually identical to Bumpcity's. I have about 4 extra sets of Elixirs to use but they last so long that I have the original set I bought over 2 years ago on one of my practice basses. I like that vintage sound the poly/nanoweb coatings gives those strings. But I intend to get a can of Stringlife soon and give it a road test.

"Stringlife" is distributed by DR strings. It's made by the same company that makes "Prolong" engine oil additive. Interesting concept, but I wasn't sold on it ("it bonds on a molecular level" which to me means it makes your strings wet and wears off shortly after) when I worked at a music store. I can support the Elixir string far easily as it does work.

I suspect I could use the liquid-teflon-saturates product made for sealing/slicking my waxless backcountry skis and get similar results.

EDIT: And have to re-apply just as frequently. After all, the stuff ain't BONDED to the strings...

Archived