Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Extra mids and mexican teeth.

DONUTHOLE

So,I love the sound of my Alembic preamp,but I need more flexibility in the midrange dept. In some rooms I can't punch through without passing the "are you kidding?" zone on my volume control. A flat setting on this preamp is: Bass at 3 or 4ish,mids at 8ish,and treble at 3 or 4ish. Cutting my lows and highs isn't doin' it for me,either.I've also tried the Yamaha NE-1,and though its useful for some things,this isn't one of them. It turns glassy goodness into muckymuck.

Gear I've considered:

Rane parametric: This would force me to get a larger rack.

Fodera pedal: The 2000 or whatever it is. I'm afraid it would change the tone.

Alembic SF-2. Well,here we go. I'm not ready to sell any teeth,although I've considered. *plyers shaking*

I don't even want to try the Kern preamp because I've heard mexican dentures are cheap,but don't always look right.

Any goods?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without knowing your whole setup, ie, cabs, power head, active or passive bass, its difficult to advise, but have you tried boosting the lows more? Also, you might try different settings on your bass, as well as where you pluck the strings...

Just a thought.... :confused:

Tommy

So,I love the sound of my Alembic preamp,but I need more flexibility in the midrange dept {...} Fodera pedal: The 2000 or whatever it is. I'm afraid it would change the tone.
You don't see the parodox here? You say you don't cut through and you don't want to use more volume so you need more ability to change your tone - but you don't want to change your tone...

OK, enough of a rough time ; } - I got rid of my Alembic largely for this reason. I like more control over the voicing, and flexibility. I don't particularly care what STYLE of EQ this entails as long as it is quiet and doesn't introduce negative qualities. For some players the Alembic seems like a hook to later snag the Alembic Superfilter ; }

That said, why didn't you just up your volume a bit? Is the issue really cutting through, or do you actually feel the midrange needs more representation to be tonally more appropriate for the mix?

I've also tried the Yamaha NE-1,and though its useful for some things,this isn't one of them. It turns glassy goodness into muckymuck.
And overpriced too. Those things main selling point was the Nathan East name on them.

It comes down to augmenting what you have, replacing with another preamp, or turning up some more (if you actually have more available at the power end, that is). Yep.

O.K. Well, I guess I should have been more specific. The fundamental,glassy warm tone of the Alembic is what I want to preserve. I just need a bit more flexibility in the mids to poke through frequency wise when I need to without blasting through with volume. Like you said, Greenboy,to sit in a specific place in the mix. The magic mids. Like in a really boomy room. I love the tone I have now,I just need that extra mid push every once in a while. ITs almopst there,I just need a bit more. At the same time,I need something that preserves the fundamental tone of the Alembic.

My gear is an Alembic F1X with a QSC plx1602 through an Ampeg 8x10. Alot of what we do is just offstage with just a bit of drums and vocals out of the mains.

Well, whether you add more mids, or turn up the master, either way you are adding more volume.

Neither approach is wrong or right. But if you feel you already have enough lows and highs and that turning them down while turning it up is a tonal compromise - and the MIDS are already all the way up - you do indeed have a problem ; }

On the other hand, maybe you should just try turning up a tad before ruling that out.

I run the mids wide open which sounds wierd. But with the way the eq works on this its really not. The treble and bass controls are mostly boost and the mid control is mostly cut. In smaller,more padded rooms it sounds perfect. In long,more hollow situations I'm either this big boomy thing at the back of the stage or throwing hotdogs down the hallway when I cut bass and treble and boost vol. :D

Yeah, I had an F1-X, and that tone circuitry model is from the Fender Bassman. Not a bad sound, but very limited. Oddly enough, one has boost lows and bright buttons in addition. The mids just don't have enough range and no selectable centering or width - all passively interactive with the lows and highs.

Like I said, Alembic wants to sell you a SuperFilter ; }

Originally posted by DONUT:

Maybe I'll go for a nice Funk Logic unit.

This is often a great solution to the most challenging tone problems. You'll be amazed at how much more you're inspired to practice w/ one of those FL bad boyz in your rack. Be warned, though, that sometimes they take some time to learn... ;)

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Sorry, I'm a bit late jumping in on this thread. I suggest using a BOSS GT-6B effects pedal. I have had similar problems cutting through, but the GT-6 has helped lots. It does take a while to learn the functions, but after a short read you'll be cutting through like never before.

Plus, you will have different 'patches' saved for different parts or songs, so you can cut at some points and lay back and full the bottom at other times for example. It's up to you.

Thanks.

TSC

Originally posted by Tim Skelly Cason:

Sorry, I'm a bit late jumping in on this thread. I suggest using a BOSS GT-6B effects pedal.

Are you serious? It didn't sound like he was looking for an amp modeller/multi effects pedal. That might be overkill. And um....you work for Roland, right?

Archived