Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great Tony Levin Interview

BenLoy

I found this great interview with Tony Levin on stick.com

There's a bit in particular where he really praises Pino Palladino's playing on D'Angelo's "Voodoo:"

JR: What are you listening to these days?

TL: The thing I've been inspired by lately is a surprising choice. And it's a kind of music that I frankly can't play. But I'm really, really impressed by the D'Angelo album called Voodoo. Pino Paladino's playing on it is not the kind of playing that I do. It's not the kind of playing that anybody is doing. I think that it's truly wonderful and radical and I'm surprised that it hasn't turned around a whole way of thinking of a lot of rhythm players. Maybe some day it will. That's my favorite bass playing in a longtime. I just admire Pino so much for being able to do something so radical.

It's radical without playing a lot of notes. What's unusual about it is the choice of placement of the notes and the rhythm feel of the time. I'm sure it's not right for everybody. Some people I've played it for just shrug their shoulders and say they don't get it, they don't hear where the beat is. But I think it's wonderful.

I'm like a kid going to school. I'm listening to this, trying to figure out how I could ever play it, if I were even ever to get a chance to play that style of music.

Yet another reason why people should buy "Voodoo" and get hip to what Pino did on this album...it's like he reinvented himself...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Princeton's even further from me than the Village, Maury! I'll take a look around. I was just kinda floored that they wanted that much for a CD. What's worse is that I've been trying to bolster the Stevie Wonder in my collection, and his stuff is up there too.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived