Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally going back to lessons!

J.A.

Well it's been a few years, but I'm finally going back to lessons on Saturday. My new teacher graduated Magna Cum Laude from Berklee and is a killer jazz player. He's in a couple local jazz bands that blew me away. One is an improv jazz band (JD and the Sons of Rhythm)with 4 guitarists, a bassist, and 3 percussionists. It's sensory overload watching them; they just decide what key signature and improvise from there. Their web page is here . He's in another more traditional band called Cat's A Bear that is really tight, straight ahead jazz. His home page that has general info and jazz articles and stuff is here .

I'm just looking forward to learning as much as I can and diving into jazz when I'm ready. I'll try to post an update in the near future

Insert inaccurate quote here

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats on taking that step Justinruins! I have recently gone "back to school" as it were and I am so glad I did!

Hang in there and study hard! :thu:

Cheers

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Wish i had the oppurtunity to learn from people like that but unfortunately there isn't that many about in my neck of the woods (that i'm aware of) and travelling to London to get lessons from Steve Lawson is a bit extreme :D
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Way to go justin. :thu:

I have been picking the brain of the best player in my nay-borhood every time I catch him. There really is something to be learned from everyone.

Good Luck!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

unfortunately there isn't that many about in my neck of the woods (that i'm aware of) and travelling to London to get lessons from Steve Lawson is a bit extreme
...funnily enough I have two students already who travel from Sheffield... and ones from Manchester, South Wales, Cornwall, etc. etc...

;)

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Congrats! Enjoy! And practice!

I went back for some lessons about 2 yrs ago and it was great for me. I'm hoping to get a regular thang going by the end of the fall -- already got my eye on a teacher, and being close to NYC, even if that doesn't work out, I know I can find someone else.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by justinruins:

aside from basshappi, apparently no one gives a shit! Thanks! :thu:

I do.

Like pro-golfers and other pro- atheletes, going back to private lessons can only improve your game. Good job! I still refer to the old 'Mel Bay/Carol Kaye' books from time to time as well as seek out old profs for woodshed help.

I care! Good on you Mr. Ruins, and it appears you chose a good teacher.

I'm a bit jealous because my self-taughtness has been interupted by a couple kids, so time and cash for lessons just isn't there.

Get 'em when you can can!

- Matt W.

I do care. When I decided to get back into music and realized that the bass was what I wanted, I took pot luck at our local music store for lessons and ended up with our own Mike Bear as my teacher.

Mike is not a guitar player teaching bass, he is a bass player and a heck of a good teacher. Taking lessons is the best thing I could have done. If it ever reaches the point that he has taught me all he can, and I don't see that happening, I will find a teacher who could help me reach the next step.

Hang in there and use the lessons as a chance to grow.

BTW, I am 56 and have been playing bass for all of 5 months. :thu:

Don't look back. You never know what might be gaining on you.

- Terry Pratchett: Going Postal

A good bass player knows the notes not to play. - Nick St. Nicholas

John

Originally posted by Steve Lawson:

unfortunately there isn't that many about in my neck of the woods (that i'm aware of) and travelling to London to get lessons from Steve Lawson is a bit extreme
...funnily enough I have two students already who travel from Sheffield... and ones from Manchester, South Wales, Cornwall, etc. etc...

;)

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

And I'm sure its worth it but i've got this pesky degree getting in the way. ;)
Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Originally posted by 44 hurts:

BTW, I am 56 and have been playing bass for all of 5 months. :thu:

That's awesome! I think it'd be great to start a new instrument a little later in life, because you'd have more experiences to bring to the table. I started when I was 15; what emotional forces did I have driving my music at the time? The frustration of sounding like a girl? (I don't anymore, fyi.)
Insert inaccurate quote here

I have played something off and on since I was about 10, starting with violin. My parents said that a URB was too much trouble to haul around, even though that's what I wanted to play. In my teen years - that's the hippie-dippie time - I played guitar and actually built a washtub bass.

Getting family and making a living got in the way of music for a long time and about 10 years ago i picked up guitar again. Self taught and not very good, I put it down.

When my wife and I moved to CA, I started playing with the family band. We mess around at family parties with a jam session every couple of months. I was so bad on the guitar, compared to the rest, that I just sort of stopped playing. Then one day I noticed that the group had 3 guitars, keyboard, and drums. No bass. So I jumped in and did it.

The payoff is that I really love the bass and what I am doing. Getting professional instruction was the right way to go for me. And playing fills a real hole in my life. I still don't know what used to fill that spot in my life, maybe nothing. But now it is playing my bass. It is how I relax in the evening and blow off the BS from a day at work. Even without regular, scheduled paractices and a group to play with, this is too important to me to stop.

Thank you for letting me rant. I have been thinking about this for a couple/three days trying to determine why the bass has been becoming so important to me. Still not 100% sure.

Don't look back. You never know what might be gaining on you.

- Terry Pratchett: Going Postal

A good bass player knows the notes not to play. - Nick St. Nicholas

John

Archived