Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hum question concerning clipping

xvincex

Is it normal that I'm clipping my PLX1602 (Bridged) poweramp with my SansAmp RBI pre-amp when XLR level is at like 4.0 with the following EQ:

Drive: 4.5

Presence: 8

Blend: 10

Bass: 5.5

Mid: 4

Treble: 5.5

I usually play with XLR at 3-3.5

The poweramp gain is all the way up.

The sounds is extremly good, however I don't want to clip the power amp... (when XLR is at 3.8-4.0 or more) what should I do?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by xvincex:

Haha I know this getz, but I'd like to put it 4 4.5 if I could... just wondering what other thinks I should do.

If you're clipping your power amp then that is as loud (in volts peak to peak) as you can go. You can get more power out of your amp by using compression -- this will make the signal decay less quickly and hence you'll have more power going into your cab.

If you just want to be louder do a search on EQing (I think some advice was given to you before this purchase).

Also, Robb.'s earlier comments about the sans-amp output level were based on the BDDI not the RBI (from my recollection). I've not heard anything about the RBI having a low output.

Try standing further from your cab.

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Haha I know this getz, but I'd like to put it 4 4.5 if I could...

Why?!! Do you have a deafwish (sic)? You're clipping a 1600W into an 8x10" and you want to go louder?!!

Originally posted by tom rivet:

Try standing further from your cab.

Listen to this man!

If that doesn't work you really need to revisit those EQ posts. And what about your instrument and technique? What bass do you play - how are all the knobs set? How do you pluck the strings -attack/position etc?

Alex

P.S. Maury - well done with the 20-20 foresight!

Originally posted by C.Alexander Claber:

P.S. Maury - well done with the 20-20 foresight!

Thanks. I'm still shocked that an 8x10" with 450 watts wasn't loud enough. Now the 8x10" with 1,600 watts isn't loud enough.

I suggest purchasing a bigger poweramp; like the 3,400-watt dealie that Alex has. :)

Haha, the power amp is loud enough (seriously the 350w head I had definitly wasn't, because I play really HEAVY music), my drummer is really mad at me since my cabinet is beside him haha, however I guess I just want more, I play in a hardcore/metal band and it is definitly heavy on the bass!

Anyways, is it normal that I can't put the Filter of the power-amp on? Is it because I'm in bridge mono mode?

Anyways, is it normal that I can't put the Filter of the power-amp on? Is it because I'm in bridge mono mode?

How do you know the filter isn't on? You can definitely have either the 30Hz or 50Hz filters switched in regardless of the mode you're working in. If you're in bridged mono, set the channel 2 switches to off and use the channel 1 switches to configure the filter.

Alex

Be SURE what switch your flipping. They're small, hard to see and easy to get wrong. Check your manual amd make sure you got the right one. It'll work if you get it right. Mine does.

If you want to run your pre hotter without clipping the QSC, turn the attenuator down on the QSC.

If you're trying to get LOUDER.....I'm not going to help you destroy your ears. Sorry

haha don't worry my ears are alright. so I should decrease the gain on the QSC and increase the XLR output?

well, filter is switch 2 and 3 is filter 30hz on the rear of the QSC, when I put them on I get no sound.

See: http://www.qscaudio.com/images/hi_res/PLX3402_back_hi.jpg

Switch 1 to 7 are set to ON in my case

1 is clip limiter

2 is filter

3 is filter 30hz

4-5-6-7 must be ON to run Brigde Mono

Yet if 2-3 are ON I get no sound...

Is it because I can't have the clip limiter and the filter on at the same time? (I can't test right now my QSC is at the rehearsal studio)

haha don't worry my ears are alright.

Oh, so you do wear earplugs?

well, filter is switch 2 and 3 is filter 30hz on the rear of the QSC, when I put them on I get no sound.

That's weird. I suggest you contact Bob Lee @ QSC (he's a regular on talkbass.com and v helpful).

Alex

Is it normal that I'm clipping my PLX1602 (Bridged) poweramp with my SansAmp RBI pre-amp when XLR level is at like 4.0 with the following EQ:

Drive: 4.5

Presence: 8

Blend: 10

Bass: 5.5

Mid: 4

Treble: 5.5

I usually play with XLR at 3-3.5

The poweramp gain is all the way up.

The sounds is extremly good, however I don't want to clip the power amp... (when XLR is at 3.8-4.0 or more) what should I do?

Other than the observation that the QSC (a PA amp) isn't going to deliver as much bottom force as an amp head designed for guitar/bass work (Mesa Boogie, etc.) I would turn the presence down to 6. Presence is great for putting extra energy in the low-mid area into the speaker, but that tends to interfere with natural cone movement with your regular notes. Just because guitar players do it all the time (they like that Marshall-Celestion midrange breakup) doesn't mean it works for bass.

Basically, you're "fuzzing" your sound when you should be cleaning it up so that the lows and highs are more focused coming out of the speaker. To me it would sound louder if you backed off on the Presence and maybe put a mid-range cut in your preamp/EQ curve. (TC: that's why I hit the midrange cut switch on the GK amp at the jam last night)

Random clipping, good, frequent clipping, bad.

As for volume: if loud gets you off and what you got ain't doin' it, it's time to get an SVT rig and cabinet (or two) and really shake the walls.

Actually, another cabinet to spread the power out may solve the problem. Mo' speakers = mo' decibels.

:D

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Other than the observation that the QSC (a PA amp) isn't going to deliver as much bottom force as an amp head designed for guitar/bass work (Mesa Boogie, etc.)

:confused: This makes no sense - there are more and more bassists using PA power amps because they provide more true clean power than integrated heads. If a power amp can drive the FOH mains or subs at a big gig, it's certainly not going to have any trouble driving a bass rig.

Alex

RTFM DUDE.

What kind of speaker cord are you using? You know that if you use bannana jacks running bridged, you gotta cross bothe RED out puts and if you're using speakons you need a 4 pole speakon wired 1+/2+....Right?

IT TAKE'S A DIFFERENT CORD END AT THE AMP TO RUN BRIDGED.

It's not a channel 1 thing. It's a BOTH channels thing (on the outputs)

Bob Gollihur sells Upright Basses and hangs out at TalkBass.

BOB LEES works for QSC and hangs out at TalkBass.

C. Alex, you're right, I stand corrected, the PA is what the audience really hears 95% of the time. Perhaps my predeliction for preferring bass rigs is more a holdover from my younger days when bass players stacked up amps and cabinets. Hard on the ears, yes, but it's the image that remains in my mind. Kinda like women in high heels: painful to walk around in, but men (and some women) seem to enjoy the image.

:D

Anyway, you do have me thinking about moving towards PA-style power amps in the future. Thanks for educating us!

:wave:

Not being familiar with the QSC, is there a clip indicator light, or are you hearing the sound breaking up?

I have the Sansamp RBI, and had to decrease the drive setting to about 4 to prevent the speakers from breaking up, even though there was no indication of clipping at the power amp.

A couple of FYI's: the presence enhances the upper-mids and is great for making pick style stand out. The XLR output has a 0db and -20db setting, so maybe play with that setting to see which is better.

bikertrash: My cables are ok, I'm using speakon to speakon with 1+/2+ on the one going in the poweramp.

I also believe poweramps have a more clean,powerful sound than heads can deliver. I compared my QSC with the SVT-4-PRO a friend of mine have...

Oh BTW about the clipping thing, I get non-frequent clipping if at 4, but yet I hate to see this clip light flashing ahah.

Aldena: There is a clip indicator, yet it is random clipping and I definitly don't hear any sound distortion.

I'll ask Bob @ QSC about the filter.

Archived